From:
Celina Simon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Celina Simon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jun 2004 15:27:44 -0500

Here's a summary of the responses to my question. (Forgive me if I did
this wrong as this is my 1st summary!)

RESTAURANTS
Olio: attached to Villa Maria hotel. Near Museum of Fine Arts. Sister of
owner is Celiac(and she works there). A sandwich & salad. They're great
about telling which items are GF.
Gibby's:  A fantastic famous Steakhouse in Old Montreal. Speak to manager.
They're very accommodating for friends with allergies.(514)282-1837
Casa Pescara: (wife of owner has CD) Have GF menu. 6752 Sherbrooke
Est,Montreal, Que. Tel:(514)253-2658  Fax:(514)253-8098 Excellent food.
Aux Vieux Port Restaurant: Serve lots of fish & meat.
Check out tons of Japanese restaurants that can be helpful:

http://www.restaurantduvieuxport.com
Le Bifteck: Locations in Montreal & Ste.Foy, Que.(12 min drive from Quebec
City) A reasonably priced steakhouse that has held Celiac Assoc.
conferences. They should be current with Celiac safety. Just speak to
manager on arriving.
Keg: Fun (514)871-9093 (GF accommodating)
Mezze: Trendy area. Great Greek food.  Speak to Joe & tell him GF
requirements  (514)281-0275
La Casa du Spaghetti: 604 Principale, Granby J0E 2N0 (20 min east of
St.Hubert) website:  http://casagranby.com/francais/casa.html (French
version ONLY; English under construction) Extensive GF menu. Chef & cooks
aware of cross-contamination issue. Owner has CD since 1997. Restaurant
carries GF pastas(Rizzopia brand), some appetizers, entrees, and a couple
desserts. Tel:(450)372-3848 Fax:(450)372-9281
Rotisserie St-Hubert:  www.st-hubert.com (
A chain. Locations in phone
book) Has a book with the allergens.  If you have "chicken brochette" ask
for no sauce side-dish; ask to replace with GF sauce used to brush chicken
instead. Coleslaw/house salad/rice are GF.

If you don't speak French, write this down and show to the waiter:
"Je suis tres allergique au gluten, trouver dedans ble, orge, seigle et
avoine. Meme si sa touche mon repas, je serais tres malade.  Est-ce que
vous pouver me suggerer un repas sans gluten. Merci!"

STORES
Loblaws: (large-chain grocer) Great selection of GF, including Glutino
breads & bagels. Also have good pastas, Dr Schar cookies/crackers and
more...
Marie-Nature: Nice bakery, deli & GF supermarket, but it's outside
Montreal; about 50 km north. 4640 Boul. Samson, Laval Ph:(450)687-2287,
(450)990-8639 mon-tues-wed 9 to 5pm, thurs-fri 9 to 7pm, sat 9 to 3pm
ww.marie-nature.com
Glutino: Send an email:  [log in to unmask]   When you know where you're
staying, they'll send a full list of retailer locations.

Hope this helps those with the same question! If I receive other responses
after posting this summary I'll send a 2nd listing. Safe eating!

Celina

P.S. I also speak/read/write in French(grew up in Montreal) so if you need
help you can send me an email.