From:
Jane Conrad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Mar 1996 11:05:24 AST

Hi everyone:

I was just about to write to the list when I read Ed Vala's message
about shampoos and hair loss.  I just bought some shampoo and spray
on conditioner from my hairdresser (I usually buy them at the drug
store, some don't have ingredients listed)  and wheat is included in
both!  I have had problems with my hair falling out for years,
nothing noticeable to anyone else,  but I always wondered why.  I've
been diagnosed with celiac about 6 months ago.  I've gone GF, and
partially organic and started taking  plant enzymes, given up dairy
(except a little milk in my 1cup decaffeinated coffee in the morning),
(just since the weekend) I'm on folic acid and iron for anemia.  I haven't
 noticed any difference in the way I
feel, still tired, bloating, never had the diarhhea that other people
had, I quite often have a stitch in my right side, that's annoying,
no pain, but just uncomfortable,  etc.  Is it possible that the shampoo may be
causing some gluten reaction,  I know the spray on condtioner would
be (I only used it a couple times before I realized it had wheat in
it).  I'm not one of those real sensitive celiacs, or do I react
to anything containing gluten.  I'm still not 100% convinced  I have
CELIAC disease,  I go for my second biopsy in April.  Does anyone
know if it's possible to have a biopsy confirm (or suspect) celiac,
go GF for 6 months, have another biopsy and have them find it wasn't?
 Is it possible that the pathologist miss read the first one?? I
guess anythings possible.  I remember when my GI called me to tell me
the results of the biopsy, he said it's not 100% confirmed, but
seemed to be sure it was.  Blah, blah, blah, sorry for the long
message.

Halifax, Canada