Date:
Sat, 6 Apr 2013 20:14:01 -0500

Thanks to all who responded. Unfortunately, my husband decided to “clean up”
the email and deleted most of the responses I got before I sat down to do
the summary today.  I remember suggestions of Unos & Chipolte’s.  Someone
also suggested contacting the Gluten Intolerance Group of Greater Chicago.

In the Shedd specifically, someone said they serve a couple GF wraps.  These
must be offered in their “café” as we ate in the Bubble Net Food Court and
the only GF offering there was pizza (cheese, pepperoni or flavor of the
day), which was fine with my son.  I did ask the person at the counter to be
sure fresh gloves were used by the person handling his food and she nodded
and did so when initially assembling it.  I stood by watching as his pizza
rolled out of the oven. She was wearing the gloves she had been using to
handle regular pizza & calzones when she picked up a used large pizza rocker
knife (though I didn’t know if it had been used on regular or GF pizza) and
held it over his pizza, about to cut it.  I quickly stopped her asking,
“Please change your gloves because crumbs could fall down on his pizza and
make him sick”). She removed her gloves, washed her hands, put on new gloves
and then found a clean pizza knife to cut it.   So beware: if you eat order
pizza, talk to the server and watch to avoid cross-contamination.

We went to Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. at Navy Pier for dinner, where I had found
online that they have a gluten-free menu.  My son ordered the Accidental
Fish & Shrimp, which he really liked.

We usually know right away when he is exposed to gluten because he’s running
for the bathroom within minutes.  That didn’t happen, but he did wake up in
the middle of the night with diarhhea, which has never happened before.  He
was fine the next day, with no temp, so I don’t think it was a virus.

We hope to go back to Chicago for a longer trip to visit the other museums &
lakefront this summer and we’ll be looking for different options for meals.

Dawn in Wisconsin