From:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Nov 2006 11:35:08 -0800
I expect my pharmacist to

When dealing with pharmacists:

I expect my pharmacist to assure the safety of prescription meds that THEY dispense.  I don't expect them to take responsibility for all the OTC meds sold in the store.  OTC meds are not dispensed by the pharmacist, therefore it is NOT their job to assure OTC medication safety.  It's only an optional courtesy that they MAY offer counseling about OTC products.  It is the consumer's responsibility to chose safe OTC products.  That's why OTC products are sold OVER THE COUNTER because the consumer chooses them & assumes the associated risks.

If we ask pharmacy personnel to answer gluten status questions for us, we should at least give them adequate time to research it from reliable sources.  Because there are no drugs for celiac disease, this is not a disease that pharmacists have likely been educated about.  A courteous request for information followed by a patient assurance that we are willing to wait a business day or two for the answer would be better received than a lecture.  I understand that no one, even a well educated health care professional, has all the answers right off the top of his/her head, so I try to be reasonable in my expectations.

Valerie Wells RN in Tacoma