From:
Stephen Holland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stephen Holland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Sep 2003 11:43:44 -0500

>    I just found out from my friend today that it will be a buffet-style
> dinner. The main dishes are roast beef, turkey, green beans, ziti,
> soup, and a few
> other items.
>
>    Now  I am confused what to do. Is it safe in the first place for
> Celiacs
> to eat at affairs with buffet-style meals? Should I ask him if I can
> ask the
> caterer beforehand the ingredients of each dish, or is it better if I
> bring my
> own food? Would a caterer even be willing to cook up my own food?
> Lastly,
> should I just go to the party, and eat at home or a local restaurant
> afterwards?

You would think that beef would be gluten free, but it the caterer
marinates it in gluten containing broth you can be surprised.  Rice is
often warmed in Pasta water so it is sometimes not gluten free.  So
there is reason to ask the caterer their preparation habits.  The
caterers suppliers might have gluten containing Turkey (basting juices).

I'd talk to the caterer.  Roast beef is probably the safest, but as
noted above, not guaranteed.  Part of the issue, of course, is how
badly you do when exposed to gluten.  You should try to stay gluten
free.  If, however, you only had minimal symptoms, one day a year of
dietary indiscretion may not be that bad.  (Of course, by dietary
indiscretion, I am talking about eating green beens that had some wheat
starch added.  Not going out for Pizza!)  If you have severe symptoms
on gluten exposure you will have to be all the more careful.

Stephen Holland, M.D.
www.napervillegi.com