From:
Rebecca Richardson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Sep 1998 11:56:59 -0500

Browsing in a bookstore, I came across (and bought) a cookbook I
thought was very interesting.  It is called "Blue Corn and Chocolate" by
Elisabeth Rozin, published by Alfred A. Knopf.  The jacket describes it as
"175 deliciously various recipes featuring New World products  -- from
corn, potatoes, and tomatoes to chocolate, peppers, and turkey --
seasoned throughout with fascinating stories of how each food
emigrated, gained acceptance in the Old World, and returned to become
American cooking."  It features chapters on corn, potato, capsicum
peppers, tomatoes, beans, pumpkins and squashes, turkey, chocolate
and vanilla, peanuts, and odds and ends (such as pineapple and wild
rice).  More to the point, in perusing the book, it appeared to me that the
vast majority of the recipes were GF, and that most of the others could
be easily adapted.  (I can't say whether persons with multiple food
alergies or intolerances would find it useful, because I am not sensitized
to look for that.)  Anyone, its worth a look if you enjoy a good cookbook!