From:
Beth Athey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Beth Athey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jul 2010 16:19:30 -0400

I only got a few suggestions for Belize, but I think that's because their
food habits naturally gravitate towards gluten-free eating.

Beth

-----I had no problem eating in Belize when I was there 3 years ago on
vacation.  They eat a lot of rice and beans and fish.  I did not find any GF
restaurants, but managed to eat without any problems the two weeks that I
was there.

----- i've traveled to belize probably 7 or 8 times. the local diet consists
mainly of fish chicken and rice and beans. oh and tons of mangoes papayas
and pineapples. although i never saw a health food store while there, i
never had a gut reaction. the national dish is stewed chicken which i ate
plenty of without a problem. they use an abundance of coconut milk in their
cooking which, although high in fiber, is also pretty fatteneing. they use
coconut milk in their rice as opposed to chicken boullion in other countries
(which could be dangerous).you don't say where in belize they will be going
but i found most places have corn tortillas as well as flour.

----- I have not been there in 20 years but I used to go a lot.  Most of the
food is fresh seafood and veggies and the fruits grow right on the trees,
along with cashew fruit and the cashew nut at the end of the fruit.  I was
not GF then but really all the food is (was) grown locally.  Belize is a
wonderful place - I am sure that they will love it there.  Can I be a friend
of the friend's friend who knows a friend!! :)  :)

My favorite place in belize is Placentia - sooooo wonderful, snorkeling is
heaven.  Somtimes if the water surface is smooth you can see to the bottom,
even from the boat, like it was a glass of water - amazing!!!

----- I would say the person will be eating more fresh items, as most places
don't have refrigeration and supermarkets.

----- I have visited on vacation a couple of times. I never shopped for any
special products in stores but I can say that a local food item is banana
fritters and unlike fritter items we make in Canada, it is ALL bananas, no
coating, and it is really yummy.