Date:
Thu, 14 May 2009 22:57:56 EDT

Note to fellow Celiac's:
I am a Celiac list-serv listener, first time  poster.   After reading how
TGIF responded to Marvin, I was  compelled to send a response letter.  Below
is what transpired.   I await their response.  Thanks in advance for your
indulgence.

Dear TGIF Guest Relations:

The message that you sent (copied below) was broadcast to a national  list
for those affected with Celiac disease.  I am one of the  recipients.  The
answer given by TGIF is, in my view, is short  sighted, arrogant,
condescending and misses the point.

Celiac disease affects thousands.  Many affected by this  disease (97%)
remain undiagnosed (both children and adults).  Further,  Celiac is among the
top ten for being the most common, yet remain the  least diagnosed diseases.
The number of people diagnosed with this  disease is increasing every year.
 Need proof?  Ask  your family doctor.

The initial inquiry to TGIF was not asking to change any  recipes.  What is
being asked is for accommodation for those affected  with Celiac.  This
requires education of the store personnel  (managers?), treatment of the food
prepared and a calculation of the  nutritional value.  Choices of items that
can be served to Celiac's include  all the meats (grilled and baked), salads
(without  croutons), fruits, fresh and cooked vegetables.  Who doesn't want
 to eat healthy these days?  What is being asked is to give Celiac's a
choice.  Hello?

In addition, you are correct that gluten can be found in binders like
starch - commonly made with wheat.  Food labeled with just the  words 'Food
Starch" is made from wheat.  Starch made from corn is  labeled as such.  I am
not aware of any natural seasonings that contain  wheat.

Understand, Celiac disease it is not a nutritional desire as you seem  to
suggest.  It is a need.  Those afflicted with this terrible  disease, myself
included, have a serious reaction and yes, even in some  situations, can
even be life threatening.

Having Celiac is not something one can choose to follow one day and  ignore
the next.  All Celiac's wish it were so easy to make that  kind of choice.

The customer who sent the inquiry was telling you they WANT to eat at TGIF
and join their friends and family.  The inquiry was telling TGIF what  they
(Celiac's) NEED.  Seems that in this economy, listening to your  customers
would be a top priority to fulfill that need.

Many of your competitors are responding to the dietary needs of the Celiac
in a more proactive way.  In the process they gain public recognition (you
cannot buy that kind of advertising).   Your competitors are  listening.
Are you?

Respectfully submitted,

Stephen

P. S.
Moreover, has TGIF ever heard of the American with Disabilities Act?
(e.g. handicapped restrooms, curb cuts, handrails etc).  Before the  ADA, the
handicapped did not have a choice.   Celiac's do not have a  choice now
either.

Please excuse any typo's & grammatical errors.   It has  been a long day
and I am tired.
Thanks for listening.

Marvin, thanks for sharing this.  S

the one-line comment below was from the initial inquiry and their
reaction to TGIF answer to their request:

"A rather disappointing response.  MLB"