Date:
Wed, 14 Dec 2005 14:22:59 -0800

Hi all, I have the pleasure of living with 4 cats.  For those of you with
cats, you know that their food is NOT gluten free or corn free either.  This
causes somewhat of a dilemma for me (CD & sensitivity to corn too) in that I
keep their food in a bin near my back door where I feed them outside, so I
don't have to deal with gluten in the house from their bowls.  The smell
from the bin is minimal and doesn't seem to bother me.  Although I don't
have DM, I wear vinyl gloves twice a day handling this food, then wash my
hands, and am always very conscious of not contaminating door knobs, keeping
my hands away from my mouth, etc.  I would love to find a gluten free food
that the cats like so I can end this source of possible exposure.  I've
tried a couple brands that didn't have wheat and the cats hated it.  I have
had no success finding one without corn gluten.  I have one cat who will eat
nothing but dry catfood (he was a drop off got him full grown).  Another cat
(20 yr old) eats my gluten free unprocessed foods, along with brown rice, so
she's not a problem.  How do my fellow listmates deal with this?  Also,
homemade catfood GF recipes are welcome too - I am not sure I am
supplementing correctly, vets out there please help!

PS I have a Golden Retreiver too who is allergic to wheat and I use
www.flintriver.com <http://www.flintriver.com/>  they have 2 types you can
choose from including biscuits.  I find the food a little dry, you have to
supplement some kind of oil in the diet like flaxseed or olive oil as it
seems to be constipating but this works well for my dog.  I have no
financial interest in this company.

Thanks, Dorina, near Galveston, TX [log in to unmask]