From:
mary elliott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Mar 1998 22:46:05 -0800

     Here goes the summary on Lea and Perrins sauces, soup bases and
Thai food. My thanks to everybody. Regards, Mary in NYC.

     LEA AND PERRINS
       - Their Worcestershire sauces are GF, thank God!
       - Jeanne says Lea and Perrins BBQ sauce is the best. I tried
it. She's right.
     GF SOUP BASES AND BOUILLON CUBES
       - Campbell's Healthy Request Chicken Broth
       - Health Valley beef and chicken broths.
       - In Canada, and possible some parts of the U.S., Watkins beef,
chicken, cream, tomato and vegetarian vegetable soups and gravy mixes.
       - The Organic Gourmet's wild mushroom and vegetable flavors.
Jill says Gluten Free is right on the label.
       - Julie recommends Better than Bouillon, all flavors.
       - Francine recommends Glutino soup bases.
       - Pacific Foods Organic Vegetable Broth. Jeanne says that this
is their only GF flavor, the Organic Chicken Broth contains barley and
is a NONO.

       And two DOUBTFUL items:
       - Knorr cubes and liquid concentrates. I called up Best Foods
today, and they could not guarantee GF status, said they were not on
their GF list. Does anybody have information on this?
       - HerbOx. One person told me that ONLY their granulated bases
were GF, another said that ONLY their bouillon cubes were GF. Will
somebody will please clear up this confusion?

      As to THAI FOOD, I can report partial success. There is indeed a
GF fish sauce (nam pla): Thai Kitchen's. I tried it, and it is
perfectly adequate. There are indeed GF Thai curry bases. They are
only so-so, and need to be jazzed up considerably with lemongrass and
galanga and lime leaves. I have found a Thai cookbook and will post
recipes for making Thai green, red, massaman and panang curry pastes
if anybody is interested - very labor intensive. In the meantime, here
is the word from A Taste of Thai and Thai Kitchen.

     A Taste of Thai e-mail at [log in to unmask]

     "Only one A Taste of Thai product contains gluten - that is Gold
Rice. All others are gluten free."

     Thai Kitchen

     Alexandra <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Dear Mary,

    Almost all of our items are gluten free-the exceptions are Roasted
Red Pepper Noodles, Spicy Thai Chili Sauce, Lemon Grass Salad Splash
and Green Chili Dipping Sauce. (All of these have vinegar)
    Please email me your snail mail address and I will send you our
gluten free list as well as recipes. Thanks again for your email and
stay in touch -Alexandra