From:
Joy Mendez <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joy Mendez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 2004 10:32:23 -0500

Well, I think I've gotten the bottom line answer from Heinz about their
Ore-Ida tator tots.  I wanted to know why they are not listed on their GF
products list but the ingredients look safe enough and it certainly appears
from my posting that many Celiacs eat them with no apparent reactions.
Their reponse:

Thank you for contacting us regarding Ore-Ida Tater Tots.

While this product does not contain any ingredients that may contain gluten,
it is made in a factory where there is a possibility of gluten
cross-contamination from other production runs. In a situation like this, we
do not certify this product as gluten free, nor do we recommend that anyone
with a gluten allergy consume it.

Thanks again for contacting us.  We appreciate your interest.

Heinz Consumer Resource Center

So, eat them if you wish, knowing that the company admits there is a chance
at contamination.  I've ordered the Cascadian Farms brand of spud puppies
from my local co-op as a lot of you think these are better anyway.

Cheers, Joy