From:
Mary Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Oct 1997 10:44:08 -0400

First, thanks so much for the help! Second, sorry I did not notice or my
memory did not retain recent postings on the subject. For any others who
share this noticing/memory flaw, here, courtesy of other listmembers, is
the low-down on brown sugar:

Domino dark brown sugar, kosher for passover, is gluten free (evidently,
even though it says 'caramel color" on the label), according to a member of
a New Jersey support group

----And here is some useful product information, plus a recipie for making
your own brown sugar:

Brown Sugar should be made of molasses and refined sugar.  [for example,
Dixie Crystal Brown Sugar lists sugar and molasses as the only
ingredients.]
Molasses should be made from pure sugar cane.

The label on commercial-grade "Grandma's Molasses" gives the following
recipe for making your own brown sugar (remember--this is commercial
grade).  If you doubt the integrity of the package labelling, please
contact the company.  Else, the Grandma's brand is made from pure sugar
cane.

** NOTE:  I haven't tried to bake with this.  I only include it because
several people expressed concern RE: baking with brown sugar. lynn **

** the following is copied verbatim from the package label **

        To make 28 lbs. brown sugar, add 3 lbs (1 quart)
        molasses to 25 lbs of white refined sugar (or
        add 1 gallon molasses to 100 lb of sugar to make
        112 lbs brown sugar).  There is no need to premix
        --just add to your recipe.

For additional free and helpful information, send for Grandma's facts
and recipes:

        The Molasses Information Network
        PO Box 800
        Dept. Min.
        Riverton, NJ 08077

For more info about Grandma's Molasses, call the toll-free customer
phone number:

        1-800-426-4891

Thanks again -- Mary Brown
NYC