From:
Raymond Rich <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Raymond Rich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Sep 2003 11:38:44 -0500

Below is a complied list of responses to my weight gain concern and
quesiton.   Each individual response is separated by paragraph.

Same thing happened to me.  I figured out that it was
that gluten-free food is really high in carbohydrates.
 Everything is rice, corn, and lots of sugar to cover
up the lack of flavor in rice and corn.  I started on Atkins and lost
some weight.  I got a bit frustrated and maybe a bit crazy too.

I was told to avoid potatoes, bread, cookies, etc. and eat more
complex
carbs (vegetables).

There are lots of great "diet books" out there -- THE ZONE, ATKINS
DIET
REVOLUTION, OUTSMARTING THE FEMALE FAT CELL -- just to name a few.
There's also Jenny Craig and Weight Watchers, Tops, etc.  You can adapt
their recipes to be GF & should be able to get the same results.

Basically, a healthy diet would be lean meats, fruits, veggies and low
carbs. If you can get a copy of a diabetic diet, that is a good one to
follow. I did this for only a week or so and lost 7 pounds really
quickly.
There is also a book out by a Corrine T. Netzer, called  The Complete
Book
of Food Counts. She has everything listed according to *health* value.
Don't be taken in by healthy foods either, because 1 orange has about 30
grams of carbs and a banana the same, if not higher. Baked potatoes are
like eating sugar, better off with a sweet potato. And a trick here, is
to NOT keep sweets and high in calorie foods around your house for a
while. I am too tempted when I have them here. I love chocolate, and if
it is in my face, I will eat it. Also, if you can find a wheat free
protein drink these are good for curbing the appetite. You can eat
almonds (natural kind) to supplement added protein with this also. The
good almonds are healthy for you and you could probably eat almost as
much as you could want, because they are the GOOD fat, so to speak. I
also buy non hydrogenated peanut butter and butter, because the
hydrogenated stuff is NOT good, not only makes you gain weight, but also
makes all those nasty trans fatty acids in our body! My Chiropractor
orders the protein drink for me from a company called Metagenics. They
have good products and are researched in great detail. Their stuff is
also wheat and gluten free, some dairy free, etc.  If you have a good
Naturopathic Doctor, tell him to go to their website, think it is
Metagenics.com, if I am not mistaken. Anyway, only health practioners
can get their hands on this. Oh, and one more thing, on a diabetic diet,
you can have 45 grams of carbs per day!  If you follow this, you will
probably lose weight naturally. Still, eat the good stuff, but maybe
instead of a whole orange, eat half, same with the bananna and eat
higher amounts of protein!

 Regarding the message about other diets with a gluten-free diet, I
have been doing Weight Watchers for a long time, but since January I
have been serious about it.  The new Points method allows you to use
real food and real food values on labels to easily calculate the
points.
I am continuing to be successful, but that's another story.
Carol Fenster's cookbooks (www.savorypalate.com) all have food
values, so that special recipes and combination foods can easily be
calculated.  Connie Sarros' cookbook "Gluten Free Wheat Free Reduced
Calorie Cookbook" may give you lower calorie GF choices.  I understand a
newly revised version with food values will be republished in November.
Her "Wheat-Free Gluten-Free Cookbook for Kids and Busy Adults" does have
food values.  The Jenny Craig system is usually based on using their
food, which would probably not be gluten free.  Don't forget to put
exercise into your plan -- whatever works for you and your schedule.

Go to www.josephmercola.com this is the best diet I've ever seen he is
doctor

The correct address for the link is
www.gfbooks.homestead.com

The Atkin's diet has specifically been asked about. I
can tell you all that I started a diet very close to
the Atkin's diet (same principle but developed by
someone else) a couple of years ago to control my
blood sugar. Without even trying, I lost 30 lbs. in
less than 6 months. After, that my body seemed to find
it's "ideal weight" and I've stayed pretty stable
since then. I know lots of other people have had
success on this diet as well. However, from what I
understand of how it works, it is a lifestyle
change--not something to do just for a few months.
Granted it is somewhat limiting (romoving sugar and
most carbs) and coupled with the gluten-free diet can
seem a little daunting (sp?). It's a decission you'll
have to make. However, I am very willing to share my
experience, recipes, etc. to any interested.

Gluten free flours have very high glycemic indexes.  The South Beach
diet
isn't gluten free always, but adapts well and has menus with recipes in
the
book.  I cannot remember the Dr who designed the diet, but my public
library has several copies of the book.  Basically the diet is low
carb.
Congratulations on realizing the issue of gf before you gained too much

weight and best wishes for feeling energetic and joyful.

I've had quite a bit of success with the South Beach diet, it's very
"liveable" especially after the first 2 week phase. The docotr who
developed it has  sample daily eating plans, recipes, etc. There is a
summary of his diet on Prevention.com. Good luck!

I have found that the Weight Watchers System works very well! I have
lost about 30+ lbs in the last 2 years and have been able to maintain
it! I have celiac and at first I thought that this would not work for
me! I am 6'1" and now weight about 180 lbs. Check into it, it works!

I would also have your thyroids tested if you haven't already done so.

Just wanted to ask: have you and your daughter been checked for other
food allergies? I was diagnosed with celiac on June 16 and went gluten
free. In a month I gained 10 lbs as I tried to cope by eating dairy,
potatoes, etc. Well, on July 18, I got my other allergy test results
back. I found out I was allergic to dairy, eggs, white potatoes,
onions,
almonds, peanuts, and several other items. Since I gave those up on
July
21, I have lost 13 lbs. I feel so much better. I no longer have
bloating
and my stomach has gone down considerably.  The test I took was the
Elisa test. I read here recently that you can order it and take it from
home. Worth looking into and/or mentioning to your doctor.

I attended a seminar on losing weight while staying gluten
free at the Denver GIG conference.  The good news is it can
be done.  The bad news is that portion control is the way to
lose weight no matter what "diet" you use.  I use the Weight
Watchers plan and have lost 20 pounds in 2 1/2 months, only
70 more pounds to go LOL!  I don't eat the WW prepared foods so I
don't worry about their gf status.  WW is great because you
can eat anything, as long as you count the points and stay
within the range.  If the food you buy has a nutrition, you
can count the points.  They have a new program now called
Flex Points that is even more flexible.  I have converted
some gf baked goods recipes to count the WW points so I
don't feel deprived.  I recommend buying the 'complete food
guide' and the 'dining out guide' to assist you.  Good Luck!

One suggestion is from a Dr. I go to in Chicago...  www.mercola.com  He
has a  diet that is called "The No Grain Diet".  It is for a multitude
of health
issues.  He pretty much advocates almost no grains and very low sugar!
I'm following another diet plan (more like a way of eating) called "The
Metabolic Typing Diet".  Anyway, these two diets help with weight and
many other health issues.  When I stay true to what I am supposed to eat
on these plans I do lose weight and feel better.  I have no affiliation
with the doctor or his books.  (just a patient)

I (celiac) went on the South Beach diet with my husband.  It's working
for
both of us. Lost 8#'s after the first two weeks of Phase 1. Currently
on Phase
2.  You need the book though.  Good Luck!!!

Ths zone is easy to follow.  Go to www.zoneperfect.com  for menus,
meal
plans.I've had a very hard time following a GF diet plus a diet to
control
hypoglycemia. This is the first diet that I've been able to stick to.
It's
satisfying and easy to prepare. I did write them a few weeks ago to see
if any of their prepared products are gluten free.Still no response.
Calling will get you better results.

In the 11 years I've been on this website, I have noticed that the ONLY
successful diet for celiacs is Atkins.  Get his book and follow it.
Don't wing it yourself what you think is Atkins....isn't

it is common to put on weight after going on a g/f diet because we are
absorbing more of the nutrients from our food.  Try reading the book
Eat Right For Your Type (blood type) by Dr Peter D'Adamo and build your
diet from that.