From:
Beth Koenig <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Beth Koenig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 09:55:48 -0500

I missed the original postings about soft pretzels but I wanted to share my
idea because it makes awesome hot pretzels. I made them for my family and
everyone, gluten and non gluten eating people alike loved them. I think the
key to making soft pretzels is boiling them in baking soda water.

First I started with Bette Hagman's recipe called Sarah's bagels. It's in
her Bakes Bread Book. I use this recipe for bagels, bread, pizza dough and
now hot pretzels. For bagels, flavor with cheddar, onion flakes,
blueberries, ect. possiblities are endless.

For hot pretzels I made the dough according to recipe and added enough
additional rice and tapioca flour just to be able to handle it. I rolled the
dough out on a rice floured board into 4 inch sticks. I let them rise in
warm oven about 45 minutes. When ready I boiled water with 2 teaspoons
baking soda dissolve in it. Boil sticks, several at a time for about 45
seconds. Removed with slotted spatula, put back on baking sheet. Sprinkle
with course salt and bake until golden brown. in 400 degree oven. I turned
them over once during baking.

For pizza dough: I use the same recipe, but add italian seasoning then roll
out, let rise, bake about ten minutes, top and bake again.