From:
Aly Stensland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Nov 1999 10:13:30 EST

I was reading the wealth of comments yesterday on this list serve regarding
challenging the gf diet in order to do a biopsy.  I am 44 years old, mother
of 2 children with celiacs and my first cousin also has children with
confirmed celiacs.  Both of my children were diagnosed 2 years ago because of
their response to a gf diet because their antibody levels were normal and so
was their biopsy.  But because of family history and the incredible response
to a gf diet, their Dr. is very confident that they are both celiacs.

Since the summer, I have dropped 30lbs without much effort.  I have had the
normal series of bloodwork done and also had the bloodtests done for antibody
levels.  They were all within normal range however my iron is dreadfully low,
a significant marker for celiacs.  I have resumed eating gf with my children
and my gastro symptoms have disappeared and am feeling like my old self
again.  My Dr. however wants to challenge me and do the biopsy next month to
confirm we are dealing with celiacs and  nothing more serious because of my
iron level and weight loss.  I was most interested in all the comments shared
by all of you and am weighing whether I want to subject myself to a
gluten-filled diet when I'm finally feeling better.

I appreciate any further thoughts on this subject and will share them with
you.

I look forward to a time when we can diagnose this disease without putting
ourselves at risk by doing a challenge.

Thank you in advance for your response.

Sincerely,
Claudia from Chicago