From:
"Stephen A. Rider" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jun 1999 20:46:06 -0700

A poster expressed concerns about Nature's Path Mesa Sunrise cereal.
His concern was, in part, related to the presence of buckwheat in
the product.

Buckwheat comes from a berry-like "fruit" of a plant which
is completely unrelated to wheat, barley or rye.  There is no
reason for a person who has celiac disease to avoid eating buckwheat.

I am a biopsy and blood test confirmed celiac and I do react
dramatically when I accidentally ingest anything containing
the *THREE* grains which celiacs must avoid. They are:
   Wheat (and some close relatives like Spelt, Triticale and Kamut).
   Barley
   Rye

There are certain organizations in the USA which spread
scientifically unfounded information. Some claim that certain
grains which do not contain the protein strings which trigger a
celiac reaction must be avoided.

These issues sometimes become clouded because some unfortunate
souls have other food allergies or intestinal problems which
cause them difficulty when they eat non-gluten containing foods.
These people have my sincere sympathy, but they also have
some *other* problem in addition to celiac disease.

It is perfectly logical to believe that a cereal might contain
buckwheat flour, quinoa and amaranth and still be gluten free.

Buckwheat flour cannot possibly contain gluten unless it has
been contaminated by one of the other grains which do contain
gluten.  The same applies to Amaranth and Quinoa. Since there
IS NO GLUTEN in them, they CAN NOT cause a reaction to gluten.

I frequently eat Nature's Path Mesa Sunrise cereal and have never
experienced any discomfort or other symptom as a result.

Additional inaccurate information is circulated about Oats containing
these same protein structures.  Oats do not contain gluten. Many
persons with celiac disease do report discomfort when they eat oats.
These people are in fact reacting to eating oats, but since there is
no gluten in oats in the first place--they are not reacting to gluten,
unless the oats have been contaminated.

I find that I can eat all the oatmeal I wish with no reaction. I pay
no attention to what brand of oats I am eating, but I certainly *do*
read the label - as all of us celiacs must.

I believe in science, in an objective reality that exists despite
what people may or may not believe. I believe modern science is very
well equipped to test whether a particular protein is or is not
present in any given food.

I have been reading this conference for about two years now. I find
that on some occasions flurries of messages occur centering around
a few grains - like the ones mentioned here - and the fur flies
for a week or two and then things are calm again.  I have begun to
perceive, whether accurately or not, that there are two camps here.

One group of people do seem to believe in sciences such as
Medicine, Nutrition and Chemistry. In a few cases I have seen
people with careers centered around science who are very well
qualified to address the which grain issues. As my memory serves
me, these folks always seem to say the same thing:
   Avoid Wheat.
   Avoid Barley.
   Avoid Rye.
Eat whatever else you want to eat which does not make you ill.

Then there seems to be another group with concerns about whether
or not this might be contaminated with that, or whether a farmer who
is growing oats might have a neighbor growing wheat.

My heart truly does go out to people who are so sensitive that they
must harbor these deepseated fears, but the FACTS remain FACTS.

Buckwheat does not contain the specific protein structure celiacs call gluten.
Amaranth does not contain the specific protein structure celiacs call gluten.
Quinoa does not contain the specific protein structure celiacs call gluten.
Oats do not contain the specific protein structure celiacs call gluten.

Facts are facts.

Best wishes for fewer wories!

Steve
--