From:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Oct 2009 22:36:13 -0400

Here are some of the responses I received after my post asking for feedback on Reclast. I met with my rheumatologist this afternoon. She was responsive to my concerns about side effects of Reclast and recommended that I try Boniva infusions, which are every 3 months for a year. She finds the patients have fewer reactions to the Boniva, and that after a year, if all goes well, they transition to Reclast without reacting at all. She attributes it to Boniva being a smaller dose of the drug. The next step is getting pre-cert from my health insurance. For scheduling reasons, I'm not starting the infusions until January. And she said I can stay on Evista at the same time. (I'm on it because my mother had breast cancer, not just for my bones.) But I may contact the manufacturers of Boniva and Evista to reassure myself. I'm not convinced doctors know about all the possibilities of meds not working together. Pharmacists know more about that.

I was reassured that my rheumatologist has 400 patients in the practice (with other doctors) on Reclast, without serious side effects.

Thanks for your help.

Lin

1. I have not used any of the prescription drugs for my osteopenia/osteoporosis(I am on the border). I have been taking 5000 IU of vitamin D to get my D up to 54 ng/ml, magnesium, calcium, strontium,  MK-7, and methylcobalamin. My last bone density did not show improvement, but it did not show any further loss like the other ones did. I am hoping my next one will show some improvement.

There is something called ostera - I may consider that if what I am doing is not enough. http://www.drhoffman.com/921

2. I would do the 30 minute walk a day
omit all caffeine like coffee, tea etc - I think the caffeine leaching is worse for women
give up grains - read the paleo stuff
absolutely do not consume dairy
make bone broth to incorporate into your cooking & everyday eating - basis for all soups
add kale to your diet
get rid of any other foods that you might have an intolerance to
up your D to 6,000 IU a day or 1,000IU for every 25 lbs. - re info from Gluten Free & Beyond Forum
add a weight lifting regimen to your workouts

3. i had taken reclast a two months ago.  there was no problem.  i feel fine.  my numbers for osteoporosis is
-3.8.  i was on fosomax this last year and there was no improvement.  so, they put me on reclast.  previously, i was on boniva.  the osteoporosis has been around for a couple of years with me.  prior, i did not know that i had it.   i do have a bulging disc and that is how i found out about osteoporosis.

4. I basically have the same situation that you mention.  I cannot tolerate the oral meds because of the stomach and esophagus.  I've had several doctors that wanted me to take Reclast.  I have done a considerable amount of research on the medication and I'm scared of it as well.  About five years ago, I was infused with pamidronate which is an osteoporosis med that you really don't hear anything about.  Two years after I had the infusions, I had terrible muscle pain--so bad I could hardly turn over in bed.  It was like I turned 90 over night.  That condition lasted for about five months.  My teeth also felt like they were moving and I had pain in the jaws.  Based on that, I'm very concerned that I would have the same side effects with Reclast.  Just yesterday I started injecting myself with Forteo.  I do not have a problem with the injections but I do have a lot of concern about the cancer that appeared in rats after they had mega doses for several years.  My scores are -2.7 in hips and -3.43 in spine.  I definitely have to do something.