Date:
Sat, 7 Dec 2002 19:17:01 -0600

Dear Listmates -
When I went to Olive Garden today for the church women's federation
luncheon/"white elephant" gift exchange, I had a very different
experience than most listmates who had so many problems with Olive
Garden's staff's attitude.

I went early, and asked to speak with the chef and the manager.  I was
told to speak with the Culinary Manager, a young woman named Toni.  I
explained my dietary needs, and asked about plain salad, steamed
veggies, whether the huge tea bags they make iced tea from are glued or
stapled or heat-sealed, etc.

Toni was very helpful.  She told me I could get plain salad, no croutons
or dressing, and that she would bring me lemon wedges and plain olive
oil.  She said not to eat the steamed veggies, because they are made in
the same pots as the pasta, but that she would gladly take a clean pan
and clean utensils and saute veggies in olive oil for me.  She said the
tea bag has glue, but they had some individual tea bags, black tea and
orange pekoe, and that she would take one, brew tea, and make it into
iced tea for me.

Then she asked if I would want her to cook a chicken breast or pork chop
in a clean pan, etc.  I think she said the plain chicken is the chicken
they get it for salads with chicken on them.  The rest has seasoning or
something.

In short, she did everything she could to make sure I had food to eat,
something to drink, and a safe meal.  This was the Olive Garden in
Matteson, IL, in the south suburbs of Chicago.

So, if you have to go to the Olive Garden, I suggest you go early and
talk with the Culinary Manager.  Some listmates said the Zuppa soup
(potatoes and sausage) didn't cause a reaction, but I didn't want Zuppa
soup.  I brought a tuna sandwich on GF brown rice bread with me, too, so
I didn't want chicken or a pork chop.

The important thing is that if you go early and ask for the Culinary
Manager, you may get the help you need.  I intend to write Olive Garden
corporate headquarters and let them know that Toni has a superior
customer service attitude.  Not every Olive Garden will, but I am
encouraged by the fact that she and I were able to work it through at
this location.

Vicki