From:
Dave Chapman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Mar 1998 15:52:43 -0800

Thanks to Connie in Ohio, Mary Elliott, Yves Bertrand
from Switzerland, Rob in Holland, Anne in Texas, Greg
Funaro, Caroline, Judy near Oxford UK, and Pauline
Quinn.

PAULINE QUOTED Against the Grain, by Jax Peters Lowell:
Gluten Intolerance Card
  Je ne parle pas votre langue.  J'ai une malade
intestinale.
  Si je mange n'importe quel genre de nourriture,
produit, engrais
chimiques ou preserve contenant meme une trace de
ble, seigle, sarrazin, orge,
millet, tritacole, graine, vinaigre, malte ou les
extraits de ses graines, je tomberai
malade. Je peut manger de la nourriture a base de
mais et riz.  Si possible, veuillez avertir le chef
cuisinier d'etre sur que ma nourriture ne contient
pas les engrais que je viens de mentioner et de
m'aider a choisir un repas que je pourrai savourer
sans inquietude.
 Merci beaucoup.

The translation is:  I do not speak your language.  I
have celiac disease.  If I eat any food, product,
chemical additive, or stabilizer containing even a
trace of wheat, rye, oats, buckwheat, barley, millet,
tritcale, grain vinegar, malt, or any derivatives of
these grains, I will become ill.
  I am able to eat foods containing corn and rice.
If necessary, please check with the chef to make sure
my food does not contain any of the ingredients
listed above and help me order a meal I
can safely enjoy.

JUDY SAID: if you are a member of UK Coeliac Society
then you could ask for a
copy of their leaflet in french. My husband is a
coeliac and we have the
german version which we found very useful on holidays
in Austria.

CAROLINE SAID: First you will not find any gluten
free food in any supermarket . You will need to find
a dietary food store or a natural food store. Then
celiac is said COELIAC and gluten free is said SANS
GLUTEN.

GREG SUGGESTED: Souffrant d'un itat d'intolirance des
protiines cirialihres ( seigle,
bli, orge, avoine) il m'est interdit d'ingirer
farine, chapeulure, semoule, pbtes
etc. Si le plat, que je viens de choisir contient
l'un de ces iliments et ceux-ci ne sauraient jtre
supprimis, veuillez me proposer un plat diffirent.
Merci beaucoup !

You may want to vist
http://members.aol.com/zoeliak/spr_info.htm and
Group: Assoc Francaise des Intolerants au Gluten
City: Paris

Contacts:   Gabrielle Cambus  89 Rue du Faubourg St
Antoine
F-75011  Paris  Tel. +33-1-43-47-0447

ANNE SAID: I plan to write an explanation, and have
it translated into French, to use at a market or
restaurant.  I have found that if you preface any
request with, "Excuse me, I have a problem.  I am
sorry to trouble you, but could you help me please"
and you will be led around the store by personnel or
other shoppers to help you find what you want.

ROB SAID: In most French supermarkets no special GF
foods are available. You can buy these in health food
shops (magasins diététique) and in some chemists
(pharmacies) with the whole assortment.
The most health food shops has GF product of Dr.
Schär, Valpi, Glutano, Glutafin.  You can find mor
info at http:/www.schaer.com. Your UK distributor of
Dr. Schär can send you a list with healt food shops
in France.

Celiac is in French "Coeliac" (or "Intolérants Au
Gluten"), and
gluten-free is "sans gluten".

YVES SAID: You find a lot of GF stuff (for example
italien Products from Schär (they have a homepage on
the Internet))in the french Drugstores (pharmacie in
French). You even can order it in any pharmacie and
it will be there in 24 hours. GF in french is "sans
glutene" and celiac is "la maladie céliaque" or "la
céliaquie"

MARY SAID: Dr. Schar's gluten-free products - pasta,
madeleines, melba toast, ect.- are available in many
large supermarkets, and some pharmacies (chemists). I
always found them expensive and unappetizing,
but they do get you out of a hole. Also, there is a
celiac society in France. Why not check with them
BEFORE you go.

CONNIE SAID: If you can get a hold of the book
"Against The Grain", there are cards
in the back of the book written in different
languages (French included). These cards explain your
condition and about being gluten-free.  You can carry
this card and merely show it to a server in a
restaurant, or at the supermarket, or anywhere you
will be purchasing food.  They're wonderful to
have.

THANK YOU ALL.
Dave.