From:
Marcy Thorner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 09:34:00 EST

Hi, folks.

I have been reading quite a bit on the Outback GF menu. I would like to
recommend that we approach this from the stance of educating the locals. Yes,
that kind of makes us responsible for things that Outback's internal system
should be doing, but it's worth the effort.

Two weeks ago, I took my celiac daughter to the local Outback in Germantown.
Although the staff was very helpful and willing to do what it takes, they,
like many others that have been reported here, were unaware of the GF menu. I
went back last night with a printout of the menu. I gave it to the waiter,
explained the situation in detail, and asked him to share it with the manager
and staff. He reported that the manager was delighted, that she had posted it
in the kitchen and would be training the staff in it.

We had a second good experience. My daughter LOVES ribs, and although their
BBQ sauce is GF, it's a bit on the peppery side for her. It came as ordered
without the sauce, and with a side of sweet potato, nothing else on the
plate, as requested. Of course the Chocolate Thuder Down Under was an
enormous hit. I do believe our next birthday party will feature those for all
guests!

Please be patient with the local staff and do not write off the place because
they are unfamiliar with our needs. A little education goes a long ways, and
so far, my experience is that the folks at Outback are delighted to be
approached that way. We''ll be frequent customers there, which is good for
both of us.

Regards,
Marcy in MD