Date:
Mon, 1 Apr 2013 12:05:45 -0400

Hi All,
A thanks to each and every one of you.  I was having problems using  the
Hershey's "perfectly chocolate" chocolate cake mix, which tended to sink a
bit after baking.   I was using the Nearly Normal Flour mix by Jules  Shepard.

I hate experimenting, but I did cut back on the liquid  yesterday.   I
think I am going to try the very last suggestion on  this list.

Again....thanks to all....  Bev....Mansfield, OH

The suggestions I received are as follows:

Most suggested there was really too much liquid in it.   (So  yesterday I
made the cake with 3/4 cup of water rather than the 1 cup called  for).    It
still deflated some...perhaps not as much.

The oven temperature could be too low.....or the calibration could be  off.
 (It is fairly new)

Perhaps the baking soda or powder is too old.

Use lighter rather than darker pans

Increase baking soda & powder by 50%

Use buttermilk in place of milk

Replace potato starch with sorghum, which is lighter

Add 1/4 cup sorghum or brown right or some protein flour

Use the Bette Hagman blend of 3 c. rice flour, 1 c. potato starch, 1/2 c.
tapioca, 1/2 tsp. gum for this same recipe as she has good results.

Finally, one said she had the same sunken middle problem with this recipe,
so found a similar recipe and has been successful every since...... listed
below:

One Bowl Classic Chocolate  Cake
From Easy Gluten-Free Baking by  Elizabeth Barbone
Dry  Ingredients:
2 cups granulated  sugar
1cup white (I use brown) rice  flour
½ c  cornstarch
¼ c sweet rice  flour
1 c unsweetened cocoa  powder
1 ½ tsp baking  soda
1 ½ tsp baking  powder
1 tsp  salt
1tsp xanthan  gum
Wet  Ingredients:
2 large  eggs
1 c  milk
½ c veg  oil
2 tsp vanilla  extract
1 c warm  water
1) Preheat oven  to 350 F. Grease 2 8-inch round cake pans with nonstick
cooking  spray.
2) In large  bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
3) Add wet  ingredients. Mix until a smooth batter forms.
4) Divide  batter evenly between the prepared pans.
5) Bake for  30-35 minutes. A toothpick inserted into center of the cakes
should come out  clean.
6) Remove pans  from the oven. Allow cakes to cool for 5 minutes in the
pans. Turn out onto a  wire rack to cool completely.
7) Once cake is  cool, ice as desired.
Recipe works equally well for 9x13  or 11x16 or cupcakes, with times
adjusted as  needed.

*******
*******