Date:
Mon, 16 Feb 1998 23:39:02 EST

Greetings and a big thank you to all who responded to my question regarding
Celiac women and menstrual irregularity.  I was pleased by the overwhelming
number of responses, and the frankess and throughness of their content.  It's
difficult for me to aptly summarize it here, but I'll do my best.

First of all, the major of the replies suggested that women diagnosed
recently, or in particular, very late in life, tended to have irregular
periods.  This was often alleviated after adhering the GF diet for a length of
time.

-Many suggested the possibility of vitamin/nutrient deficiencies.
-Many mentioned that CD is associated with hormonal irregularities (I was
    certainly not the only one with this problem!)
-Many women reported having irregular years during their lives (periods that
    were too long, too short, or infrequent)
-Some suggested seeing a nutritionist or dietician to work on establishing a
    more balanced diet
-Some suggested GF birth control pills as a method of trying to prompt
    regularity
-A few mentioned decreased libido and problems with fertility, but this did
    not seem to be an overwhelming problem, especially if the CD is treated
    properly early in life.

Overall, most women seemed to agree that a lot of women in the general
population have menstrual irregularity, but that CD does amplify your chances
of such.  I think that, considering that I was diagnosed very young and have
been good about my diet, I'd do best to re-evaluate my vitamin consumption,
and perhaps consider hormone therapy to help "jump start" things into action.

Again, thanks to all who responded!  I'm glad that we can provide such an open
forum for this sort of discussion.
Jessica in IL