From:
Vicki McKinnon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Mar 1997 08:05:53 -0800

Tim,
You've requested batter recipes.  I have two--One is a tempura I haven't
tried and the other is potato flakes which I have tried and my family likes
a lot.

#1.TEMPURA BATTER
Combine:
3/4 c. corn starch
1/4 c. sweet rice flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt

Wash, drain and cut into bite-size pieces your fish or vegetables
Cover and refrigerate til serving time.
Prepare the tempura batter not more than 10 minutes before cooking!
This tempura recipe came from the Seattle Gluten Intolerance Group
newsletter.  I saved it because I wanted to add a little corn meal and try
to have onion rings once more in my lifetime!

#2 CRUSTY CHICKEN STRIPS IN POTATO FLAKE COATING
This works for fish too...........
Mix in a non-reactive bowl:
2 Tblsp. balsamic vinegar
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
1/4 C. Olive Oil
Salt to taste & pepper to taste

Cut crosswise in 3/4" strips 1 # of boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Dredge them in 2 beaten egg whites or 2 beaten eggs or some yogurt.  Next
roll them in 1 cup of dehydrated potato FLAKES ( I use Barbara's), mixed
with 1/4 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. white pepper.

Heat:
1/4-1/2 cup olive oil in fry pan and saute chicken until golden, about 5
minutes.  I actually spray the pan with a GF cooking spray and add a couple
tablespoons of oil.

Serve:
Drizzle chicken strips with dressing and serve.

Enjoy!
Vicki