From:
"Peter L. Warren" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Mar 1997 12:52:01 -0500

Thanks to all who responded to my query.  It seems that I am not alone with
this problem.  Most of the responses were from people suffering from the
same and wanting copies of the responses.  Some from former sufferers with
solutions they have tried.  Here are the highlights:

I have had some luck with a supplement called "NAC" for my bronchitis.  It was
prescribed by my naturopath and I believe it is gf if you get it from the
Vitamin Shoppe catalog (at least they say it is!)

I used to get bronchitis every time I took a plane trip. Then I read
a letter from a doctor in Consumer Reports, telling of how the same
thing happened to his wife. He recommended sipping on Robitussen
Expectorant. I followed his advice, and start sipping on a small
bottle about 15 minutes before boarding. By the time I reached my
destination, about 6 hours later, I had drunk about 4 oz, and no
bronchitis! I have used this method several times, and it always
works. The plane is so dry that the tissues of the throat need to be
moistened.

If this doesn't apply to you, you might try the zinc lozenges that
have been mentioned on the list.  (Beware of zinc lozenges that are
sweetened with rice syrup as they sometimes use barley enzymes to produce
the rice syrup)

Before I was diagnosed I had bronchitis for four years straight (no breaks).
Before those four years I would get it twice a week. However, since
diagnosis I haven't had it once, unless I eat something containing unknwon
gluten.

I have had alot of trouble this year with viral respiratory disease.  This is
the worst year that I have had in recent memory.  I don't know about other
areas of the country, but here in Oregon's Willamette Valley the viruses have
been at almost epidemic levels.  They last several weeks, take a couple of
days off, then hit you again for another round.  Because I have also had
lifelong asthma, my doctor has me on a fairly strong regimen of prednisone
right now.  I don't know if this has any relationship to celiac disease other
than our immune systems are probably much more susceptible to diseases.  Hope
you feel better soon.

I, too, had recurring bronchitis until a Dr. told me that I have asthma (at
first I didn't believe him) and put me on a low dose inhaler. I haven't had
bronchitis since and this was about five years ago. You might want to check
that possibility out.

My 6 year old celiac son has asthma. His anemia was discovered at the
same time he had his 1st really big attack of asthma that landed him in
the hospital at age 2, but it wasn't until almost age 3 that he was
diagnosed as celiac. Then the anemia made sense. IMHO, it's all
connected: a weakened immune system that makes you chronically
vulnerable to all sorts of things - like asthma.

You are probably run down from the lack of uptake of nutrients courtesy
of CD, which undoubtedly you are aware of.  It would probably be prudent
for you to visit a naturalpath and find out if you are in need of
certain vitamin and mineral supplements, as I read that this is
important for CD sufferers until their bowels have recovered adequately
to make the most of their food.

I was prescribed the herbal tablet `echinacea' and the tablet `chloride'
to clear up my perpetually swollen lymph nodes under my ears, and it
worked wonderfully, so maybe you would like to look into that too.

Peter Warren
Blacksburg, VA

        "The best doctors in the world are Doctor Diet, Doctor Quiet, and
Doctor Merryman."
               - Jonathan Swift (1738), Polite Conversation