From:
Rebecca Markle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 21:50:32 -0600

A newspaper I subscribe to had the following blurb.  I wonder if anyone
can give a summary of the article:

Fungus mimics a critical protein to make it a more dangerous foe

The fungus Candida albicans flourishes in immune-compromised patients
because it can make a mammalian protein, transglutaminase, says a report
in Science.  The protein boosts the fungi's success in adhering to cells
lining the mucosal surfaces of the mouth Among serious infections,
patients get while in the hospital, Candida ranks among the top five and
can be fatal.

Uh, what's transglutaminase?  (Other than a protein cross-linking enzyme
being used in developing a ELISA test).

Rebecca Markle
Erie, Pa, US of A

Taking extra selenium tonight!