From:
Kimberly M Abeel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kimberly M Abeel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jul 2009 09:27:42 -0400

So far, I have received a variety of responses to my question about the
Bumble Bee canned tiny shrimp that I ate. I first presented with a
terrible headache, which went away after several hours. I ate more the
next day and, later, experienced symptoms that are characteristic of a
gluten reaction--severe headache and dizziness, itching on my scalp and
face (now turning to blisters), anxiety/psychosis, joint pain, and
diarrhea. Some suggested that it might be MSG, soy (though there was no
"vegetable broth" or other soy-containing ingredients listed on this
can), or a shellfish allergy. Also, the shrimp is produced in Indonesia,
if that makes a difference. The shrimp also contained sulfites. Here are
some of the replies I received:

I also ate their shrimp last night and had no problems.

I think citric acid is usually derived from corn. I have never had a
problem with it but my husband swears that it gives him a reaction every
time. It is in a lot of canned stuff.

In the U.S., if it were derived from wheat, the wheat would have to be listed.

Do you know if the product contains MSG? a common cause of headaches - in foods.

I use Bumble Bee canned salmon and have had no problems that I know of.  I
also called and was told the canned salmon was gluten free.  Maybe it is
only the shrimp and citric acid.  I am allergic to iodine and of course that
would include shrimp, lobster, etc.

I've looked up citric acid on the web before and found out all kinds of
stuff about it that I didn't know about it. I honestly don't remember
what was said about wheat in relation to citric acid, but what I
remembered is that mold is sometimes involved and if you have a mold
allergy, you will possibly react to citric acid. I'm very allergic to
mold. I'm also allergic to rye, oats and baryley malt, but not wheat
(but am apparently intolerant to it) so I eat gluten free. I love shrimp
but have never tried Bumble Bee's shrimp. However, I do know that a
number of years ago, I had a terrible problem with eczema on my hands
and citric acid bothered it terrbily.
It is possible that you actually have an allergy to citric acid or to
something in the processing of it.

I would say citric acid derived from wheat would depend on where the
shrimps are canned. They are more than likely canned in Asia---in which
case the citric acid would be suspect. And since citric acid derived
from wheat could probably be called 'gluten free'---they use that
loophole to avoid labeling, especially since it is actually produced in
Asia.

I don’t think it’s the citric acid. Citric acid is a form of vitamin c
and also used for helping to maintain freshness. If it’s the citric acid
that you’ve developed a sensitivity too then you would be reacting to
lots of thing you eat – check out the labels of other processed stuff
you are consuming to double check this.

Just another thought - maybe a stupid thought - what if the shrimp ate
something with gluten in it? When you eat shrimp - you are basically
eating the whole thing minus head, shell and legs - right???

I know someone who cannot eat shrimp, crab and lobster without getting a
headache and upset stomach. It may be that you have the same type
allergy. And it seems to me that there is one other seafood that they
cannot eat but I do not remember what it is.
You might have developed the same allergy.

Usually it is the sulfites in shrimp which cause headaches...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sulfite

if you go to http://www.msgmyth.com/ you will find out that citric acid
if often a disguise for MSG. Look under Hidden names for msg. Msg is
notorious for causing headaches. I have severe MSG reactions that are
quite similar to my celiac reactions. Another good site is
http://www.msgtruth.org/.

I'll continue to look into this and try to identify what in this product
made me sick. I'll post if I come up with anything.
Kimberly in CT

*******
*******