From:
Chris Gralapp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Feb 2002 16:58:07 -0800

I'm wondering what is the time frame for a followup endoscopy and biopsy?  I
had my first (positive) biopsy 18 months ago, and want to do a repeat to see
if I am showing healing.

I belong to Kaiser, and they are very reluctant to do a second biopsy,
citing it as medically unnecessary--since I don't feel bad anymore.  I had
gotten the impression from this list that a second biopsy is routine, and
often prescribed to check for healing/lack of healing.  I want to make sure
that I am not getting accidental exposures to gluten.  Is this proper
protocol for celiac disease?  Is there some literature citation or protocol
to which I can refer my doctor to show that a second followup biosy is a
good idea?

Also, I want to use part of this second biopsy to participate in a Stanford
Celiac study that is currently being conducted--Kaiser says "if Stanford
wants the tissue, let them perform the biopsy!"

Thanks in advance for your input.

Chris Gralapp, MA, CMI
Medical and Scientific Illustration
415.454.6567