From:
cheryl leslie <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
cheryl leslie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Dec 2005 20:10:10 -0500

First of all, let me thank everyone who responded to my query for a recipe for a cookie dough I can roll out and cut with cookie cutters so I can continue this tradition with my newly-diagnosed celiac children. It is so comforting to know there is such a supportive celiac community out there. I really appreciate it.

I apologize for the length of this summary, but I received such terrific recipes and advice that I would like to pass on. It will come in a few parts because of its length.

Cheryl

Summary--

Some people gave me websites that have holiday cookie recipes to cut-out including celiac.com, glutenfreepantry.com, SillyYaks, the St Johns listserv archives, pamelasproducts.com (using their pancake mix!), http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/messages?msg=49076.1, http://www.gfzing.com/?p=84,

Many people suggested chilling the dough for at least an hour or even a day to make it easier to roll out.

Also recommended by many others are various recipes in Bette Hagman's gluten free cookbooks. One person mentioned a recipe called Mock Graham Crackers.  This person rolled them out and noticed that they would be good for cut out cookies.  She will be making them for the third year this Christmas.  The dough can be balled and re-rolled numerous times, but do it in small amounts because it works better when chilled.

One person recommended the Incredible Edible Gluten-Free Food for
Kids to find a recipe.

"Miss Robens brand, see internet, has a good mix for this, sugar
cookies."

"I don't know if anyone told you about 123Glutenfree sugar cookie mix. It's excellent, tastes just like normal. I roll out on parchment paper and bake on parchment paper."

Someone suggested trying to sweeten the Gluten Free Pantry's pie crust recipe to make a cookie dough.

Someone else just  simply converted a recipe from probably Better Homes and Gardens, and added the xanthan gum.

"I think it would help if you rolled the GF dough out on nonstick silicone mats (such as Silpat). You could roll the dough out, cut out all the shapes you can fit on one sheet, pull the excess dough away (you may have to respace them and spread them out a bit), all on the silicone mat and bake them that way. They should lift off easier without crumbling. If you do not have silicone baking mats, you could alternately use parchment paper (not wax paper)."

"The Gluten Free Kitchen's recipe for gingersnaps makes a great gingerbread man dough."\

"Use Mona's multi-mix."

Recipes to follow