From:
gonduran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Aug 2001 20:45:47 -0300

Many thanks for all the replies to my question about anti-endomysial
antibody levels. I have been on a GF diet for 9  months but my EMA test is
still positive. My question was : Any idea of why my antibody levels are
still high?

Most people agree that (if I am sure that I am not eating gluten) the
problem is that it often takes time for the antibody levels to go down.  It
can takes as long as two years.  One person said I might never become
negative again.

One person said ".once you remove most of the gluten from your diet ,It will
take less gluten to cause a worse reaction.  .Since EMA testing is very
specific for celiac/gluten exposure, it would seem that you are probably
getting traces of gluten somewhere.  Since you are not  having symptoms, it
would seem that it would be trace amounts that you are  getting often,
rather than occassionally larger amounts.Place to start looking is with your
daily routine

Some suggestions  I have received:

...this other excellent site:
http://forums.delphi.com/celiac/messages/

.if you're still having problems be persistent about it or change gastros if
necessary.

...Check if the number has decreased  (unfortunately it hasn't, I have the
same EMA level as when I was diagnosed: positive to the dilution 1/20)

Thank you very much for your help with this.

Rosario
Uruguay