From:
Claire Lazebnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jul 1999 18:49:26 EDT

A bunch of people asked me if I could re-post this recipe, after I sent in a
letter about substituting quinoa flakes for the rice flakes.  So here it is.

GF BREAKFAST COOKIES

1 1/2 cups thin poha flakes (available from Miss Robens) or quinoa flakes
   (found in the cereal section of some health food stores)
1 1/4 cups GF flour mix (a la Bette Hagman)
1/4 cup soy flour
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup buttermilk, or soured milk (milk mixed with 1/2 tablespoon GF vinegar)
1 cup diced dried fruit (I just use dried cranberries--no need to dice)
3/4 cup chocolate chips (or nuts, if you prefer)

Combine dry ingredients.  Add melted butter and mix until evenly distributed.
Stir in buttermilk, then fruits and chips.   Drop by tablespoon onto greased
baking sheet and bake at 375 degrees until browned (about 12 minutes).

The recipe can be doubled.  I like to double it, and cut back somewhat on the
butter and add extra flakes--you get an even denser, chewier cookie that way.
I've tinkered with this recipe a lot, and have liked all the results.

As I mentioned, with the rice flakes, you get a pseudo-oatmeal cookie.  With
the quinoa flakes, the cookies get very chewy and nutty, almost like a
peanut-butter cookie.  Both are absolutely delicious and unbeatable with a
cup of coffee.  (Next I want to try using a mixture of both kinds of flakes).

The cookies freeze well--I actually like to eat them straight from the
freezer, when they're really chewy and dense.

Enjoy!