From:
Richard Lovegrove <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Lovegrove <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Feb 2013 09:28:08 -0500

A quick comment on one part of the flavored coffee summary. One person who wrote back to Sharon said this:

> Stay away from any kind of Gevalia coffee-the spokesperson I talked
> with said that there are trace amounts of gluten in all their coffees.
> It's not stated on any of their labels....I found out the hard way.

Gevalia is a Kraft brand and as a Kraft brand, any known gluten would be listed. This was confirmed in an email I just got from Gevalia.

"Thank you for your e-mail.

Gluten content can almost always be determined from the label, and the most accurate information can be found by checking the ingredient list on our packages.

For labeling purposes, Kraft includes wheat, barley, rye and oats as sources of gluten.  Our packages identify gluten by listing these common sources. Other grains that contain gluten are triticale, spelt, kamut, mir and farina, and if these grains are included in our products, they will also be labeled.

However you should know that we do not guarantee that our products are gluten-free because we sometimes purchase flavoring, color or spice ingredients from suppliers who do not list every possible source of gluten beyond what is required by law."

To me, the last line is more CYA than anything. I've never had a problem with Kraft products that haven't listed gluten. But it's up to the individual.

Richard