From:
Sarah Bauermeister <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 04:31:11 -0500

Hi there ( I posted this last night but I think only half my message got
sent, so I am re sending it)

I am currently expecting a baby (28 weeks) and 3 months ago I went on a GF
diet after my husband realized that everytime I ate gluten foods, I would
feel ill.  I would be breathless within 20 minutes, extremely tired,
lethargic, irritable and my mouth would salivate terribly, making me feel
sick. This had been going on 3 months, we had just put it down to Morning
Sickness and anemia. For the last 4 years I have been anaemic and the last
two years have been breathless, bloated and constipated.  I am also thin. I
started to look up wheat allergies etc and have found out a lot about CD
etc.  I have mouth ulcers on and off, have been diagnosed with IBS before
and had joint pains 12 years ago, which they thought was arthritis and put
it down to stress.   That is a short background.

Now, I have a few questions, I do not wish a medical opinion, just a humble
opinion from people who have been there.  I feel very isolated and lonely
in all of this, I do not have a family doctor as we have moved and although
my husband is very supportive, I need advice.

1.  Should I see a doctor?  I have been on a GF diet for 3 months and feel
no results will be valid now.

2.  I felt better within 24 hours on a gluten free diet, would this be
enought  evidence for a doctor?

3.  Is there a possibility that I could be gluten intolerant, wheat
allergic or CD?  (Not all 3??)

4.  I am very sensitive, most foods that are considered safe for celiacs in
this country (UK) still affect me.  I can not even eat jam, ham or anything
with citric acid in.  Some teas affect me.  I have even had to stop baking
bread in the house and have had to clear my own area of the kitchen.
Eating out is nearly impossible, I can only manage a salad with my own
dressing that I bring.  Is this normal to be so sensitive?  I can also not
eat eggs.

5.  Will this last forever?

Sorry for my silly questions but apart from the archives and what I have
read and learnt from people and websites, I am totally overwhelmed by this
all at the moment.  I am 35, this is my 7th pregnancy and I have never felt
so well in my whole life.  For the first time in years and years, I am not
anaemic and I am not constipated, I have soft skin and feel wonderful.  It
is just that I am finding it hard trying out all these foods and feeling
awful within 10-15 minutes and then for 2-3 hours or more afterwards.  I
did cheat a couple of weeks ago, I ate a few crumbs of a crumble that I had
baked.  By evening  my stomach was sore and I struggled to balance my diet
for a week afterwards.  This is mindblowing and I would love some advice or
support or anything really.

Thanks for listening.

Sarah