From:
Sheryl Tingley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 May 1999 12:32:50 PDT

Hello Listmates,

Since being diagnosed almost a year ago, I have felt 100% better physically
and mentally. However, although much improved, I have never got rid of the
heartburn and "gas" that I went to the doctor originally for in the first
place.

Before diagnosis, my doctor thought I was lactose intolerant and so I went
off dairy products. I did not improve because, unknown at the time, I was
gluten intolant. Once diagnosed with Celiac, she told me that I can have
dairy again. I was happy because as my doctor called me "The Dairy Queen", I
liked my dairy products.

Well as I said, I have never gotten completely heartburn and "gas" free and
I'm wondering, because so many on the list are also latose intolerate, if I
am also latose intolerant. I noticed this week that I have had heartburn
everyday after my lunch of cheese and rice crackers with rice pudding for a
treat. I become very miserable and eat many Tums to only have it come back
an hour later.

I can't imagine being gluten and latose intolerant. I feel very bad for
those who are sensitive to so many things. Just being gluten-free was such a
life changing experience and now to think I may have to stop the
lactose............. How does one get balance diet with so many
restrictions.

Do my symptoms sound like I am will no longer be the Dairy Queen. Is there a
test I can take to find out if I'm lactose intolerant?

Sheryl Tingley
Auburn, WA

        "Friendship is a sheltering tree"  ;)