From:
"Aimee M. Bittinger" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 1999 23:46:44 -0800

A while ago I posted on the "serotonin of the gut" theory, hoping to explain
or shed light on the depression connection to celiac disease. Looking up
gluten in my Nutrition Desk Reference, thinking I would find pages on how
good wheat is for you, I instead found this. I hope somebody finds it
useful. I know my psychiatrist from when I was first diagnosed could have
used this information. I am not a doctor, nutritionist or dietician so if
you would like more info I can look more things up for you in this book but
otherwise you might have to ask a medical professional.
Although this is filled with complicated terms and jargon, I think it helps
explain a little better the whole theory on behavior relating to celiac
disease. I hate to be compared to an alcoholic, mostly because people think
of it as something you can control and you are at fault for it, the
comparison makes sense.

 from The Nutrition Desk Reference
p.617, 621 copyright 1995
        In the early 1970s various studies demonstrated that the analgesic
action of the opiates was the result of an interaction between opiates and
certain receptors in the brain.. The discovery of these receptor suggested
that there might be some naturally occurring substance within the brain that
exerts its activity by acting upon these receptors....
        There is another opiate-alcohol-nutrition interrelationship that is
beginning to surface. A few years ago, Hemmings proposed that psychiatric
manifestations occurred in individuals with gluten intolerance, a
sensitivity to wheat protein that results from the leakage of incomplete
protein metabolites across the gut into the bloodstream. These substances
could then influence the immune system and brain chemistry and cause
behavioral abnormalities. Digestion of some dietary proteins, such as casein
from milk products and gluten from wheat, also result in the production of
substances that have opiate-like activity. these opiate-like substances
might produce little or no effect in the "normal" population. Generally,
these substances would not be expected to pass from the gut into the
bloodstream. Research from the Medical Research Council Clinical Research
Center, Middlesex, England, has shown that alcoholics have increased
intestinal permeability, or a "leaky" gut. These findings are provocative to
say the least. they suggest that perhaps certain protein-like substances in
the diet of the alcoholic, and perhaps other addicts, might be intimately
involved with the  perpetuation of these disorders.

curious to know what you think
-Aimee