From:
CurtissAnn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
CurtissAnn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jul 2011 10:00:46 -0700

Thank you all for your kind and generous help in pointing me to information. I do hope more research is done, because enough of us have noticed the correlation of the conditions of celiac disease and alcoholism disease in our families.  What has occurred to me is that alcoholism is a disease of a compromised body system,  just like every other disease. Not so strange that symptoms and organ malfunctions would overlap. Everyone is a lot better at using Google than I am!

Now, I'm pasting here the answers:
 There is a mention in "Dangerous Grains"  The link will take you to the passage in google books.

 It makes so much sense that the 2 would be related. My father had celiac (we think) and was an alcoholic, and I know several others, too.

Years ago Dr. Roger Williams wrote that alcoholism was a disease of nutritional deficiency which correlates to what we know about malabsorption in celiacs.

I drink a lot, very little of if alcohol because my father was an alcoholic until I was about 25 when he stopped.
This morning I have already had about 50  ounces of lemonade, diet Coke and water. I will drink  another 30-40 ounces before the day is over.  It is hot and that probably causes me to be more thirsty than if I was not working but I always drink a lot more than other people.
I wonder if other people with CD drink more than non-CD people.  If it was not for my father I would probably be a drunk.
I just had a physical and my blood sugar is normal. (my note: I drink a lot of liquids, too. Food for thought.)

The following article is not exactly a connection between the two conditions. It shows cerebellar ataxia as the result of alcohol consumption in about half of the cases and cerebellar ataxia in about 16% of the remaining cases.
Luostarinen LK, Collin PO, Peräaho MJ, Mäki MJ, Pirttilä TA.Coeliac disease in patients with cerebellar ataxia of unknown origin. Ann Med. 2001 Sep;33(6):445-9.

The next one reports that signs of one type of IgA nephropathy can be induced by either gluten or alcohol abuse. Unfortunately, the article is in Italian and I can only read the abstract:
Coppo R, Amore A, Roccatello D, Gianoglio B, Peruzzi L, Alessi D, Reyna A, Mesiti A, Piccoli G, Sena LM.
Role of food antigens and alcohol in idiopathic nephritis with IgA deposits. Minerva Urol Nefrol. 1991 Jul-Sep;43(3):171-4. Italian.

There is a good discussion of THIQs derived from alcohol, in the context of alcoholism in:
Myers RD.  Tetrahydroisoquinolines and alcoholism: where are we today? Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 1996 May;20(3):498-500.
If you compare that with discussions of the opioid peptides from gluten, you may see some of the connections that I see.

The University of California Irvine did a gene study where participants
(biopsy diagnosed celiacs) had their blood drawn for genetic analysis and
then completed an extensive questionnaire about their health and the health
of their relatives.  Alcoholism was one of  diseases mentioned in the health
survey.

 This link
http://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/topic/66389-alcoholism-related-to-gluten-i
ntolerance/ has some interesting theories.

I just did a quick Google search, and though this is not scientifically documented with any links, you may find it useful: http://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/topic/41252-hypoglycemia-alcoholism-etc/

This one actually has a link to a study: http://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/topic/66389-alcoholism-related-to-gluten-intolerance/

 Continued onto Part 2...