From:
Steigelman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steigelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 18:35:14 -0800

HI LIstees!

The following is a question that I sent to Coach's Oats, a new product out
there. They kindly responded and here it is.
FYI!
Christine

> I purchased a bag of coach's oats at a local grocery store. Looks
great!
> Please advise: is this product gluten free? What about other products you
> have, such as energy bars?
>
> Although oats themselves are gluten free, if they are processed on a line
> that also processes wheat or barley or rye, or if the oats are grown in
> fields where wheat was previously grown, then there may be a chance of
> cross-contamination.
>
> So, on behalf of my son who has celiac disease and cannot tolerate gluten,
> I look forward to your response.
>
> Sincerely,

Their response:

The following is from our manufacturer Roman Meal.  In regards to our energy
bars, they do contain gluten products.

"There is always the possibility of some cross contamination of grains
(farmers call it 'volunteer' grain that carries over to the following crop
that is planted)
in the field, and also possibly minute amounts of seed admixture in the
original seed.  Also, we do process wheat, barley, rye and Coach's Oats on
some common processing lines, though the lines are flushed or cleaned
between processes. The cross mixtures from these various sources generally
will be very small, though probably not absolutely zero.  Thus, the key
factor for gluten intolerant
members of the population is their relative degree of sensitivity to gluten.
Essentially, Coach's Oats are free from gluten, meaning a small fraction of
1%. It is virtually impossible for any grain-based product to be guaranteed
totally free from gluten protein peptides."

Coach's Oats