Date:
Tue, 23 Feb 1999 18:21:08 -0800

The estimates I've seen on the number of celiacs is approximately (I assume
this means diagnosed celiacs):
300 per 100k in West Ireland
60 per 100k in US (I guess that so high because of all the Irish)
15 per 100k in Scandanavia

Does this sound about right?

I've read that about 10 percent of the population here is lactose
intolerant. Is that about right too?

And about what percentage of celiacs are also lactose intolerant?

I would assume the figure would be high since lactase that breaks down the
lactose is generated off the tips of the villi in the small intestine, and
when this is damaged we lose the ability to produce lactase. And once we
stop drinking milk for any long period we also loose the ability to make
latase. Use it or lose it? Is all that correct?  -vance