Date:
Thu, 21 Dec 2000 18:33:22 -0700

        If you recall, I posted for a dried fruitcake recipe about a month
ago.  I appreciate all the replies I received, but none of the recipes I
read came close to the old recipe I was trying to duplicate.   So, with the
help of a friend,  I got creative and concocted my own.  Some have asked me
to post the final results, so here it is.

        The base cake is my own variation of the Hagman Cranberry Nut
Bread.  For the fruit, I've added various dried fruit, walnuts, and the
whole bright red fresh cranberries.  The fruit rum sauce gives tastey and
aromatic moisture to the cake.  I found that the cakes freezes well and can
easily have the additional sauce added later.

        Enjoy!

Nina  :)

Phoenix

Rum Dried Fruitcake

CAKE
1  1/2 cps GF Flour Mix
1/2 cp Soy Flour
1 tsp Xanthum Gum
1/4 tsp ground cloves
2 tsp dried orange peel
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 cp brown sugar
2 beaten eggs
1/3  cp orange juice
1 cp sour cream or vanilla yogurt
3 Tbl melted butter
1/2 cp chopped walnuts

FRUIT
1/4  cp butter
1/2 cp brown sugar
1 cp rum
1/4  cp water
1/2 cp chopped dried apples
1/2 cp chopped dried apricots
1/2 cp chopped dried peaches
1/2 cp chopped dried cherries
1/2 cp chopped prunes
1/4 cp chopped walnuts
1/2 cp whole fresh or frozen cranberries

        FRUIT:  In a small saucepan, melt butter with sugar over a medium
heat.  Add the dried/chopped fruit, rum, and water.  Bring to a boil then
reduce heat and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes until syrupy.  Drain fruit and
reserve the syrup.   Mix the fruit with the walnuts and whole cranberries.
Set aside.

        CAKE:  Mix together all the dried ingredients and nuts and set
aside.  In a small bowl, mix together the sour cream (or yogurt) with the
butter, then mix in the beaten eggs and orange juice.  Mix the dry
ingredients into the moist ingredients a little at a time until all are
blended together.

        FRUITCAKE:  Grease and flour and bundt pan.  Spoons half of the
fruit mixture evenly into the bottom of the pan.  Now spoon half of the
cake batter over the fruit, making sure to let the batter touch both sides
of the pan.  Spoon the remaining fruit evenly on top of the batter.  Cover
this layer of fruit evenly with the remaining batter.

        Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes.  Remove from oven, let set a
couple of minutes and then turn over onto a plate.  It may be necessary to
rescue a few pieces of fruit which stuck to the pan.  Reheat the reserved
rum/fruit juice. Prick the top of the cake with a toothpick and then spoon
about 1/3 - 1/2 of the fruit/rum juice onto the top and sides of the cake.
Save the remaining juice for drizzling over individual cake slices.  The
individual juice drizzled slices may be served with a dollop of whipped
cream.

        This is not a recipe for the calorie counter!

       Nina  :)
"Gluten Free in AZ"
      Phoenix, AZ