From:
Rita Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rita Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Mar 2008 13:18:18 -0600

The majority suggested using corn starch for making ham gravy using the juices in the bottom of the crock pot.  Thanks to everyone for your quick replies and suggestions.

Happy Easter

Rita

I always use corn starch or tapioca starch as a thickener. I think you can even use potato starch as a thickener. The drippings and broth from a ham can be a little salty, so you can supplement with a little chicken broth or veg broth as well (I haven't checked broth brands in a while because I've been using my own homemade broth lately, but in the organic section is seems like Imagine or Pacific brand--come in a lined box--have a gluten-free broth line that says it on the box, but do verify by checking the box). You probably don't want to add more salt, but maybe a bit of pepper.

Ever tried pouring Pepsi over the ham before it cooks?  Seems to make a nice 'gravy'.

Just drain the juice from the ham out of the crock pot into a sauce pan. Add apple cider ( or water if you don’t have the cider) and a few raisins. Simmer slowly for a few minutes add either corn starch or arrow root powder mixed with a little cold water to the gravy to thicken. Taste, add salt/pepper to taste. Delicious!

Shouldn't be a problem if you use cornstarch instead of flour. You will find the gravy instructions on the box of cornstarch for the gravy

Crockpot book says to cook 3-4# smoked ham shank, 1 bay leaf, 4-5 peppercorns, 2 c water, salt.
Place ham in crock-pot.  Add seasonings and pour in water.  Cover and cook on low setting for 8-12 hours.  (Did you know that you can also place large chunks of sweet potatoes in pot or leave whole and cook at same time.  Never tried s potatoes, but it works terrific when cooking h/m chicken, veggie soup with Idaho potatoes.)

When making gravy I usually take some broth (small amount at a time, add corn starch, until thicker, pour into crock pot).  better yet, you could just take broth from the pot, put on stove bring to a boil, and slowly add corn starch.  Be aware that a little goes a long ways.  Usually do this when making onion gravy not GF for my hubby over cube steaks.  He loves it.

I would just mix some corn starch with water and add it to you crock pot just before you are ready to take it off.  That is how I make my stew.  Hope this is of some help to you.

I have just substituted GF corn starch instead of flour.  I use ARGO brand corn starch, it's stated right on the package gluten free.    People use to use corn starch back in the 'old days'.  It makes a great gravy.

Use Corn Starch instead of flour,  My mom always used corn starch.  She said it made a smoother gravy.

Use corn starch instead of flour or use rice flour or arrowroot flour.  No one will know the difference.  Renee