From:
Jeff & Jo-Anne Coleman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Apr 1998 22:41:52 +1000

Hi everyone,
I sent a message to the list some time ago asking if anyone, particularly
other Australians, had heard of wheat-based glucose syrup being used in
Australia.  I received 4 responses - thanks very much to those who
responded.  The answers really surprised me, but do explain some of my
"phantom" reactions to different foods.

The responses are summarised below:

1) Be aware that Cadbury's also use a wheat based glucose-syrup.  I got caught
very badly last year (worst reaction I had ever had) .  It took a few phone
calls to Cadbury's, but they confirmed they use a wheat based glucose
syrup. (Cadbury's make chocolates here in Oz)

2) 1 person's mother was told that in Australia wheat-based glucose syrup
is used, and has been avoiding virtually all Australian sweets ever since -
Whitmans chocolates are ok though - they being from the States and made
with corn syrup.

3) "When i was in Australia for 6 months, i went to a dietician who was
associated with the celiac support group.  i was told that anything
containing glucose or glucose syrup was wheat derived and not allowed.
this was obviously very different than what i was used to here in the u.s"

4) 1 person from Norway included his comments:
"I cannot give you any info on this, but I am very interrested. The reason
is that I taught I had a reaction to almonds. I fancy marispan (spelling?)
and occasionally eat quite a bit. I lately have got this 'dunk-dunk'
reaction around my lower right rib after eating. The marsipan contains:
guessed it ...? almonds, sugar and glucose.
I have no diagnosis, but is as best managed GF. The common GF breadmixes
here are made with wheatstarch (max 0.3%gluten), and it gives me the same
kind of 'dunk-dunk' reaction. Not on the menu anymore.
I guess I will have to make my own marsipan."

Thanks again!
Jo-Anne Coleman
email: [log in to unmask]