From:
Miki Tracey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Nov 2001 11:57:45 -0800

Regarding cream of chicken soup...

Most folks said the same things, that there isn't any and that they've
been sending letters to soup companies.  I started writing one and
suggest others do as well.

One person recommended Lipton Cup'a'soup (1 800-697-7887)
which i tried in tomato in a dish that called for hot dogs and which
caused my DH to flare up.  Only real culprits could have ben the soup
and the hot dogs.  I'll be trying it again sans hot-dogs.

I'll try to get back to you.  This is what i used for the meal, but i
ate something different than everyone else as a sick cook is never a
good thing. I also used Tomato, after comparing the ingredients intomato
to the ones in the chicken soup.  So i could have stepped a bit outside
the bounds of what this person intended.

The recipe on the argo cornstarch box (white sauce) was recommended with
additional chicken I was sent to glutino.com as someone indicated there
was a mix there, howver upon arriving, i found only the hot chicken
sauce.  I did grab some onion soup and make dip with it.  It went over
marvelously.  I should have written this person back, but i just didn't
have time.

I received a couple of recipes which i didn't have time to prepare but
which i intend to find time to prepare and can in the future.  The
variations for chicken and celery are at the bottom.

Cream of Mushroom soup.

In heavy saucepan, heat on medium:

        1 Tbsp. margarine

Add, and saute for 1 minute:

        1 cup diced fresh mushrooms (approx. 1/4 lb.)

Remove from pan and reserve (mushrooms will now measure approx. 1/2 cup.
 Also, 1/2 cup of canned, drained mushroom bits can be substituted for
mushrooms and margarine, if desired.  If so, skip saute step.)

Heat, in same saucepan:

        4 Tbsp. margarine
        1/2 cup evaporated milk
        1/2 cup milk (I used 2 percent to cut down on fat)

Stir in these spices:

        1/2 tsp. dried onion flakes
        1 pinch celery seed
        1 pinch garlic powder
        1/4 tsp. salt
        1/8 tsp. pepper

Make a smooth paste of:

        2 1/2 Tbsp. SWEET RICE FLOUR
        1/4 cup milk

Add paste slowly to heating mixture.  Stir constantly until thickened.
Stir in reserved mushrooms and heat through.  Use in casserole recipes
or add 1 CUP MILK FOR SOUP.  Equivalent to one can condensed cream of
mushroom soup.

*VARIATIONS:  CREAM OF CELERY SAUCE OR SOUP:  Substitute 1 cup diced
celery for fresh mushrooms.

CREAM OF CHICKEN SAUCE OR SOUP:  Substitute 1 cup diced raw chicken for
fresh mushrooms and saute for 3 min. OR substitute 1/2 cup diced COOKED
chicken for canned mushrooms.

On the topic of feeding 40 gluten free, it turned out to be 46 and a
vegetarian.  EEK, i made chicken rice casserole (from the csa recipe
book)= and broccoli cheese casserole for lunch.  Both went over
smashingly.  I used imagine creamy mushroom soup and mixed in lipton
cream of chicken packets.  I'm told it was scrumdelishious.  (i
substituted creamy corn chowder which i had brought an extra of for the
vegetarian dish becasue i accidentally poured all the chicken soup
packets into the mushroom soup --oops, however the creamy corn soup
(imagine) REALLY made the broccoli rice caserole yummy (cuz it's what i
ate.)  My best find for lunch was the 20 lb of basmati rice i found at
Costco (Price Club).  Dinner was significantly easier, a sort of london
broil in my secret recipe (1 part broth 1 part red wine).  My co-chef
cooked a separate dish for the muslim in our group which used soy sauce
and smelled lovely but i wouldnt touch it with a ten foot pole :)  The
vegetarian dinner was a 'winter veggie pesto with parslied potatoes'
That means stir fried squash with parmesan cheese and basil.  The
vegetarian, a ninety pound girl with an attitude ATE IT ALL UP (and
there was a lot of it).  The final lunch was really easy on me for
vegetarians.  Corn Chowder is corn, some spices and creamy corn soup.
Heat, stir and serve.  The chili mac also went well, i couldn't trust
the beans i bought, so i ate the chowder and the leftovers.  I was
happy, i was told people enjoyed the food, and all was well in the
world.  I'm not certain i'd do it again but i learned a lot.  Like far
less soup and rolls and far more meat.  And maybe a weight lifter's
belt, cuz boy did my back hurt.

Thanks all for your help.

Miki Tracey