From:
Kerstin Hassib <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Jan 2001 14:26:36 -0500

Thank you all so much for your suggestions. They were great! And also thanks
for the encouragement to breastfeed and for acknowledging  that babies are
hard work! It helps to hear that from others!

Here is a summary of the ideas I received. I just copied and pasted them all
together (saves time...). A lot of them seem very obvious, but I couldn't
even think of those...I am not accustomed to peanut butter since I am
German. It's time for me to get the hang of it I guess. It seems to be easy,
relatively good nutrition. Luckily I am not allergic to nuts. Ok, here we go
with the summary:

Nuts, nuts and more nuts. Nutbutter (Peanut, Almond etc.) with crackers,
rice cakes, veggies, (dried) fruits.

Ener-G Granola bars - buy in bulk and freeze the ones you don't use

Atkins 1800-6-atkins protein bars are GF *EXCEPT FOR Mocha Somthing &
Praliene Crunch

GeniSoy bars are GF too, buy the in Health food stores or some grocery
stores

Ensure Chocolate Fudge bars are GF. Last checked 1 year ago.

Balance Bars, the old regular ones, are GF

One of the quick things that I eat is a lentil and brown rice mixture. I
just cook a combination together in a pot. Check often to make sure
water doesn't evaporate. I don't have amounts sorry. Then I keep this in
the refrig. If I am feeling energetic I will chop up carrots, onions
other veggies. When I want something quick, I scoop some out, put a
little salad dressing and eat. Not sure of the calorie content but, very
healthy - protein and complex carb.

You can also have Enriccos Salsa and Snyder's Corn Chips. My 21
yr. old son love that. Sometimes he makes nachos by melting Velvetta cheese
and the salsa and then pouring it over the corn chips. Kraft hard cheese is
also gf along with a host of Hormel products like canned chili, pepperoni
etc.

My "filler uppers" that I keep handy are yogurt, bananas, Snickers bars
and coconut macaroons (made by Archway Cookies). Most caramel corn is
also gf.  I also have WASA gluten free crackers (corn & rice) very
similar to Rye Crisp and I put spreadable cheese on them.

Progresso canned soup - spit pea with ham and also lentil are gluten
free and I think are good.

Amy's has some frozen dinners that are gluten free. I like the cheese
enchiladas with black beans and corn best. Amy's also has a Thai stir
fry that is ok.  At Wendy's you can get baked potatoes with toppers,
chili, frosty's side salads and Taco salads that are gf.

Amy's makes vegan meals, some are gf. The chinese noodles and the
burritos are pretty good although I wouldn't recommned the shepherds
pie. Tamarind Tree makes Indian meals that are gf and very good --
microwave or boil. When I'm really busy, I fall back on peanut butter
crackers (glutano's my favorite) -- or nachos in bowls... a small bowl
of gf salsa with a couple of wedges of gf cheese stuck in the sides and
a bag of gf tortilla chips.

I would like to suggest that you try milk and eggs to see if you can
gain weight. My daughter had problems with losing weight and had no
appetite, no energy, but she would eat an egg for dinner or lunch and
have milk in between meals also.

If you keep a few hard-boiled, you can peel one and sit down and feed your
baby, eat the egg with one hand. They are nearly perfect nutrition. Do you
like ice cream? That might help also, and has the added benefit of calcium
and a little protein.

When you do get the energy to prepare a meal, may I suggest that you double
the recipes when possible and freeze portions for later use

Drink Carnation instant breakfast with whole milk!!

Another quick meal is corn tortillias heated on the cast iron skillet, med.
heat then fliped. Put cheese or whatever and roll.

I make mini pizza in the oven for my sons. I first heat the tortillia on
the oven racks and flip(otherwise they get soggy), then add sauce and cheese
and on a baking sheet I cook them and time them to make sure they don't
burn, I use broil, that's quick.

My husband and I would get lots of good fruit and cut cut cut and throw it
together and don't forget some cinnamon and coconut, This keeps well in the
fridge for about a week. We used cantalope, watermelon, grapes, oranges and
whatever else was hanging around the stores.

have you tried rolling some ham and some good gf cheese together? how
about some jiff pb on some medium cheddar cheese? that was my fave! :) i
say cheese is the answer since i love it and have no problem with being
too thin! :) avacados are great too. make some fast milkshakes with ice
cream. if you keep the blender out this could be fast. then just rinse
it out right away for easy clean up.

I've found that a mix of M&M's, raisins or dried apricots, and peanuts
(watch out for hydrogenated oils here) make a good snack. You can pre-
mix and keep in a plastic bag, and it keeps well in warm weather. I
would not subject the mix-in-a-bag to the temperatures experienced
during summer in a locked car. Any dried fruit would also be a good,
easy to carry, high calorie snack also.

I can't take milk, so I use soy milk as a base, add a banana to make it
creamy, and then add either 2 tbs. or flax seed oil or olive oil and
then some sort of nut butter. I alternate between almond, cashew and
peanut butter. The nutritionist told me about the nut butter. I also add
a scoop of "All One" powered vitamins. You can also add some other
frozen fruit. I like to use frozen pineapple and pour in a little
coconut milk.

One idea is protein shakes. I called Boost, and they said all their
drinks and puddings are gluten-free except the chocolate malt flavor.

Ethnic Gourmet Foods (508) 875-6457 and they faxed me a list of frozen
entrees (thai and indian meals - watch the box for mildly spiced, medium,
etc. - if you are nursing I don't think you want to eat anything spicey)
that you can microwave or stick in the oven, as well as some jar sauces. You
can find these in some supermarkets and at health food stores.

Amy's Kitchen Inc. (707) 578-7188 - frozen meals, pasta sauces, chili,
soups. You can find these in some supermarkets and at health food stores.

Fantastic Foods Inc. in Petaluma, CA makes meals in a cup - just add
boiling water. You can find these in some supermarkets and at health food
stores.

Thai Kitchen (800) 967-THAI makes gf instant rice noodle soups, put in a
bowl and add boiling water. You can find these in some supermarkets and at
health food stores.

I also mail order from Dietary Specialties (check on the internet)- Chicken
Lo Mein (which was like a soup), frozen pizza (excellent!), ravioli and
stuffed shells with sauce (wasn't too crazy about the sauce but just ordered
them frozen without the sauce (1 lb. bag)), waffles and sausage is good too.

I also mail order from Foods by George in NJ - You can mail order; I'm close
so I pick it up myself. Frozen lasagna that just goes in the microwave is
great! Pizza is good, frozen stuffed shells (takes 1 hour in the oven but
you just add sauce), great chocolate chip cookies, etc.

With greens, you can add (for protein and fiber) some beans. Beans take
a little more work - you have to rinse off the can gunk using a small
collander and put the leftover beans in a jar in the refrigerator. You
can always open a can and rinse it in a spare moment, dump the beans
into a jar, and then have them to add to salads when necessary. They
should keep in the refrigerator that way for a few days.