From:
Peter Von Mehren <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Jul 1996 21:07:24 -0400

Kemp Randolph wrote
> Gluten sensitivity
>is described  as one of three kinds: (intestinal) CD itself (a mix of Type
>I, II and IV Types), DH, and an "allergic type" (Type I) involving just
>the immediate    reactions of diarrhea, vomiting and such. Some may have
>combinations of these, I suppose.

The potential for a combination of CD/DH/gluten allergy suggests a tie-in to
the recent postings on the relationship between celiac disease and asthma.
>From "Prescriptions for Nutritional Healing" by James and Phyllis Balch
(Avery), p. 81: "There is an abnormal immune globulin called IgE, which is
an antibody that is formed in an allergic response to a food substance. When
this substance is found in your lung tissue, it frequently causes a reaction
such as shortness of breath or asthma. It can cause hives if found in the
skin. Many intestinal problems commonly occur because IgE is most often
found in the wall of the intestinal tract, often resulting in severe pain,
gas, or bloating. IgE can be located anywhere in the body, causing severe
problems. Even natural health foods can adversely affect the immune system."

Ann von Mehren