From:
Latimer Kells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jul 2000 20:45:08 -0400

Greetings, Everyone!

I want to thank all of you who responded to my recent inquiry.  I got many
thought-provoking responses -- some sent me to "books."  All were
appreciated.

Here is some preliminary information culled from "Fundamentals of Nursing"
by Ruth Craven, et al, Lippincott Publishers.  Norms for adults (meaning
after adolescence and <70 years):  Pulse rate is 60-100 beats per minute,
oral temperatures 97.0 to 99.0. "The body's surface or skin temperature can
vary widely with environmental conditions and physical activity.  Despite
these fluctuations, the temperature inside the body, the CORE TEMPERATURE,
remains relatively constant, unless the client develops a febrile illness.
The body's organs require this constant internal temperature for optimal
functioning.  For core temperature to remain normal, heat production must
equal heat loss.  The hypothalamus, part of the central nervous system is
the body's thermostat.  It can sense small changes in body temperature and
stimulates the necessary changes in the nervous system, circulatory system,
skin, sweat glands, or shivering mechanism to maintain homeostasis.

"Normal temperature drops as a person ages; it is not uncommon for an
elderly person to have a body temp as low as 95 degrees, especially in cold
weather.  Ordinarily, changes in environmental temperatures do not affect
core temperature because of our internal regulatory mechanisms, but
exposure to extremely hot or cold temperatures can alter body temperature.
Body temperature normally fluctuates throughout the day.  Temmperature is
usually lowest from 1-4 AM and highest from 4-6 PM.  A person's body
temperature can vary by as much as 1.8 degrees F from early morning to late
afternoon.  In the past this variation was attributed to variations in
muscle activity and digestive processes, which are usually minimal in the
early morning while people sleep. However, no absolute relationship has
been found between circadian rhythm and body temperature.  In some humans,
the situation is reversed, and body temperature is increased at night and
decreased during the day.  There is even greater variation in body
temperature at various times of the day in infants and children.

"Body temperature increases with exercise because exercise increases heat
production as carbohydrates and fats are broken down to provide energy.
Strenuous exercise, such as running a marathon, can temporarily raise the
temperature as high as 104 degrees F.  Emotional or physical stress can
elevate body temperature.  When stress stimulates the sympathetic nervous
system, circulating levels of epinephrine and norepinephrine are increased.
As a result, the metabolic rate is increased, which in tern increases heat
production.  Stressed or anxious clients may have an elevated temperature
without underlying pathology.

"Women usually have greater variations in their temperature than do men.
Progesterone, a female hormone secreted at ovulation, increases body
temperature by 0.5-1.0 degree F above baseline.  Following menopause, mean
temperature norms are the same for men and women.  Thyroxine, epinephrine,
and norepinephrine also elevate body temperature by increasing heat
production."

FROM THE LISTSERV

1)  A few listed some aspects of the preceding information, such as
temperature variations in the menstrual cycle, viral infections -- and
especially the fact that there is a RANGE of normal temperatures.  I was
surprised that that range actually reached as high as 99.0 F.

2) Some cautioned me that I may not be as gluten-free as I think I am
being.  They cited things like corn tortillas being made on a contaminated
line, even if the ingredients themselves were gluten free.  They warned
against things like lipsticks and toothpaste.  Some stated that their
temperature will elevate if they have a gluten accident.

3) Some reminded me that it may not have anything to do with gluten at all,
but could be a reaction to some allergen.  Important to remember that there
are other things besides gluten that can cause problems. Examples such as
corn chips, coconut, yeast, tomato, cocoa, and peanut butter were
mentioned. (More on this later!) One poster mentioned that she spikes temps
up to 101 degrees for gluten AND OTHER food allergies.  The comforting
thing is that many celiacs "outgrow" these other food allergies after a few
years of healing.  Someone said that "hidden" lactose, such as is found in
some medications, could be the problem.  Some sound advice was given to
avoid "suspicious" foods and re-introduce them after 6-8 weeks (but just
one item per week).

4) One person suggested that with intestinal permeability, particles of
food escape into the bloodstream before being adequately "broken down,"
thereby setting up an autoimmune response that could elevate the
temperature. This could go on for a while, because it takes time for the
digestive tract to heal.

5)  Fluctuating temperatures may be related to my new diet affecting the
production of thyroid and other hormones.  The suggestion was to wait 2-4
weeks, see if it stabilizes.  If not, have my doc run blood tests on
hormone levels.  (I can already tell you that I have noticed a change where
my female hormones are concerned on Day 9 of GF diet!)  So I have no doubt
that powerful hormonal changes, including those of thyroid production, are
happening.

6)  Somebody reminded me that as celiacs, we are prone to so many different
reactions to things in the environment.  They suggested that gas fumes, for
example, may have a transitory effect on temperature as a sort of allergic
reaction.

7) One person mentioned that before going GF she had a low-grade fever for
6 months straight, and that none of her doctors were even willing to admit
that low-grade fever could be part of the constellation of celiac symptoms.
(I was told it was part of CD symptoms by my doc, actually). Also, this
person was getting elevated temperatures even by doing tasks like folding
the laundry, because even little things were an effort for her at that time.

8)  Someone suggested that fluctuating temps could be tied to thyroid
malfunction, especially Hashimoto's thyroiditis, an autoimmune condition.

9)  Someone else suggested that I should check with my doc to see if my
blood sugar level was fluctuating and resulting in temperature changes.

10)  Another person suggested that if this situation continues, I might
want to have tests to check for elevated liver enzymes and opiods from
either milk or gluten proteins.

11)  Another person (retired MD) suggested getting blood work to look at
sedimentation rate related to an inflammatory process in the body.  This
poster also told me of an interesting biofeedback, meditative maneuver that
his wife can do to purposely elevate her temperature.

12)  Another poster said it is normal for the pulse to increase 15-20 beats
per minute within a half hour of eating; if it rises more than that, it may
be an indication that the body is reacting to something you ate.

Thanks to all who have responded.  I have tried my best to incorporate all
the information in as succinct a way as possible, although this response is
long.

UPDATE:  I have something further to report, which is interesting.  I did
give up all suspicious foods, which included a one-time and limited foray
into the worlds of coconut, pecans, and GF tortilla chips (I checked with
the company and they deny the possibility of cross-contamination of these
chips).  But something more -- I eliminated potatoes and yams, which has
been my only source of starch, as I do not do well with rice or corn and
eat a very simple diet.  Have been reading Elaine Gottschall's book
"Breaking the Vicious Cycle" and put her Carbohydrate Specific Diet (CSD)
into effect.  Today was Day 3 on her diet (Day 16 on GF diet).  Any time I
took my temps today they were all within normal limits.  Is this the GF
diet kicking in?  Is it related to eating the more limited CSD?  Was it a
happy coincidence related to WHEN I took my temps today?  Will I get 99.1+
temps tomorrow with all my best efforts at identifying problem foods?  It
bears watching.  But in the meantime, my tongue is less coated today, I'm
certainly less bloated, and I'm interested to know if I'm on to something
that will work better for me.

Thanks so much to all of you who responded to my inquiry.  For those of you
who asked for a summary, I hope it has been of interest.  This is an
incredible listserv!

--- Latimer Kells