Date:
Thu, 26 Dec 1996 13:43:22 -0500

<< Bread recipe sounds great!  Can it be used in a bread machine? >>

Many, many people have written to ask this question since I posted the
recipe.

Marci says no.  I haven't tried it, but I've made it 3x with a mixer, and
it's so easy.  The dough is the consistency of frosting, and I've been
dolloping it onto a cookie sheet for sandwich rolls.  I really think the
softer-textured dough, which does not need the rising/kneading cycle, is the
key to the bread's softness.

Here's what I've been doing:  I made a big canister-full of the blended dry
ingredients - including egg replacer.  I stuck a label on the canister that
says:

1 cup mix

15 min: 4T warm water + 1/2 t. sugar + 1 t. yeast

1 T. oil
1/4 t. rice vinegar
at least 1/3 c. water until beatable (less if forming the dough)

Beat for 2 min, bake 350 for 25 min.

This makes baking a daily batch a real snap.  I don't bother to let the dough
rise.

Of course, if you use real eggs, reduce the amount of water.  Also - I've cut
the amount of xanthan gum a wee bit.

Karyn