From:
George & Gayle Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Sep 1995 22:12:36 -0400

>My elderly mom (82 years old) seems to gag at the mere thought of food.
>She has been on the GF diet for 4 months and has had nausea and vomiting
>from time to time in this period, but not constant like it has been this
>week.  (She was eating fine before she went GF, but did have diarrhea and
>gas for years, which have stopped.)  She has been following a very simple
>diet with no hidden glutens.  This week it has been mostly blender
>drinks of soy milk (Soyum), corn oil, maple syrup and bananas.
>
>Martha

 Just the thought of a diet of soy drinks, corn oil, maple syrup and
bananas makes me feel like gagging.  What's wrong with buying some marrow
bones and making mother some nice beef broth, perhaps served with a little
rice and a green bean or two added.   Many of us react negatively to soy
and some of have negative reactions to corn. If the beef broth is
tolerated, try the same with chicken. Remove the skin so it is not oily.
Then try a tad of white grape juice with ice cubes.  Cream of rice cereal
plane at first, and made thin like gruel.  If that works you can try it
with a few pieces of chopped up dried apricots that might be helpful.
Sprite agrees with me - perhaps it has too much sugar for her, but a little
with a lot of ice might stay down.  Why the corn oil?  Anything oily is
hard to digest if one is feeling queazie.  Maple syrup is exceedingly
strong and ultra sweet.

 Has your mother tried an oral electrolyte (they are sold in grocery stores
in bottles for babies, but they overcome the effects of lengthy upset
stomach and/or diahrreah when the system is out of whack.  She must be
dehydrated.  Or Alka Selzer Gold.  It's the same principle but made for
adults. Comes in a yellow (gold) box.  Ask the druggest.

 I don't know who created that original diet, but it wasn't MY
nutritionist!!!  Good luck.

]Gayle Kennedy