From:
Maya Ben Asher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 12:21:32 +0200

Are bleeding gums correlated to Celiac Disease?.

Here's the summary.   I had 19 responses.  Thanks to all who answered.

1.  Yes, yes, yes--and as my leaky gut healed, the gums got healtier.  I
    rememeber an old dr telling me that when your stomach is off (meaning
    digestion) it shows up in the mouth.  Ann

2.  It could well be from a deficiency.  It happens to many women when they
    are pregnant and the baby is taking all their nutrients!  I would
    encourage you to find out what you are lacking, and take supplements.
    Perhaps you are not absorbing well yet."  Anne Washburn

3.  I've had lots of trouble with bleeding gums, and my dentist unjustly
    accuses me of not flossing enough.  I'm tired of defending myself!
    Please summarize to the list.  I'd like to print it out and show it to
    him!  Bobbi in Baltimore

4.  I experienced bleeding gums and my gums were even receding before my
    diagnosis even though I took really good care of my teeth.  I got into
    good habits from wearing braces on my teeth.  Anyway - this was probably
    due to vitamin deficiency - once I went gluten free, the bleeding
    stopped, my gums stopped receding and I stopped getting canker sores and
    a tingly tongue.  Hope this helps!  Gail in Kingston

5.  Yes, I do have bleeding gums from time to time and I usually relate it to
    something I've eaten so I think its entirely possible that its due to
    celiac disease.  I have often wondered myself about this, if you find
    anything out let me know ok?  Janet in Maine

6.  You are probably correct about the vitamin deficiency, but my gums
    finally stopped bleeding when I started using Melaleuca's Tooth Polish
    that has Melaleuca Oil and other natural healing ingredients in it.  They
    had bled for as long as I can remember so this was pretty amazing to me.
    You can read about the Tooth Polish and other great products (They have
    great vitamins) at http://www.melaleuca.com.  If I can be of any help,
    please let me know.  Diane

7.  I had the same problem and the dentist told me to take Vitamin C.  So now
    I take 2-500mg.  of vitamin C a day.  I hope this helps you.  Mitzi in
    Michigan

8.  You should definitely look into vitamin information.  Malapsorbtion can
    lead to nutritional deficiencies.  - Laurie (check your B vitamins andC.
    Get a good absorbable, gf vitamin.)

9.  I had a huge problem with bleeding gums for many, many years.  I even had
    the gum surgery done.  I don't have any problems with bleeding gums
    anymore but I also floss everyday so I don't know if the improvement is
    related to the daily flossing or the gluten-free diet....

10. I know women sometimes have this problem during pregnancy.  Probably
    unrelated, but perhaps it has to do with iron and either not eating
    enough or not absorbing it well.  Judith Mountain View CA

11. Have you tried increasing your intake of Vitamin C?  It helps heal
    bleeding gums.  Janice

12. Often bleeding gums is a result of not flossing enough.  The simplest
    thing might be to try flossing more often, and see if that helps.  Also,
    there's a nutrient called Co-enzyme Q-10 (CoQ10) which you can get in the
    health food store, which has a remarkable ability to help promote healthy
    gums.  It's expensive, but worth it.  You'll have to check to make sure
    it's GF.

13. I have experienced bleeding gums.  I was using Canadian Crest toothpaste.
    It contained minute traces of gluten.  If I use a different toothpaste,
    including American brands my gums bleed.  I am fortunate enough to have
    availability to American Crest toothpaste and am able to use this.  My
    daughter gets bleeding gums from using Canadian Colgate but is able to
    tolerate Canadian Crest.  I am a long time Celiac and react to minute
    traces of gluten, both external and internal.  Good luck - it took about
    2 weeks for the bleeding to stop once I stopped using a brand of
    toothpaste.  Leona Yukon Territory, Canada

14. One of the symptoms I presented with was bledding gums.  Then they
    discovered how anemic I was.  Once I started taking B12/folic acid
    injections and started incorporating a GF diet, it didn't take long
    before the bleeding gums stopped.  I tried taking massive amounts of
    B12/folic acid by mouth, but it did me no good.  However, the weekly
    injections did.  Now I am down to nmothly injections.  So you might want
    to have a blood chem panel done, if you haven't had one recently.
    Candice in California

15. Yes, vitamin deficiency can cause it.  Try a good multi vitamin, not the
    coated stuff from the grocery store (centrum, theragram etc.)  I found
    Twin Labs daily multi vitamin to be good and is GF.  They are powder in a
    gelatin capsule.  Good Luck, Carol in NJ

16. I have been diagnosed a year.  When I last accidently had gluten, 6
    months ago,I had violent cramps for 2 days and then very sore and
    bleeding gums for 4 or 5 days.  I couldn't bear to clean my teeth they
    were so sore, and bled at a touch.  Occasionally since they bleed in a
    few places when I clean my teeth.  Margaret

17. I believe bleeding gums is a vitamin C deficiency.
    Patty in VA

18. Yes, I have gum bleeding - always have, but never connected it to celiac.
    The actual state of my teeth is definitely celiac related as is the
    colour of my teeth.  I'll look in my files for the information I have
    about the correlation between dental problems and celiac and let you know
    if gum bleeding is mentioned.  Helen in Vancouver, BC Canada

19. I always had bleeding gums and they looked red and inflamed alot of the
    time and I would get those swellings and sensitivities.  I have had many
    root canals and generally feel grateful for the teeth I have left.  Now
    after having a flare up with a deep filling and it taking along time to
    heal, which was one of the things that just got me back in touch with the
    celiac thing I had as a baby, and finding it healing better now that I am
    COMPLETLY gf.  I awlays took alot of vit c.  b's and now Co enzyme Q.  I
    thought I was just a person who needed alot of vit c.  Beware tho if you
    stop the c suddenly, I sent myself into scurvy once.  I am 55 Take Care
    Donna