From:
Anna Carter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 1999 23:00:45 EST

I had shingles at age 21.  My doctor also thought it was odd that someone so
young had shingles.  At the time I was undiagnosed with celiac.  My doctor
seemed to think I was pre-disposed to herpeS type viruses since I had other
types also.
________________

odd that my daughter started with all the Celiac symptoms
after an herpes eye infection at age 10 months.  At first
they said shingles but then said it was just herpes of the
eye lid.  Soon after that healed we began with more Celiac
symptons.  She was diagnosed about 6 months later.  She now
gets the herpes cold sores on her lip once in
a while but it has never come back to her eye.  She has
been GF for 12 years now.
________________

I also had Shingles at about age 19,  have never had a recurrence.  I do
see also  that now that I am on a gf diet I have also had no more cold
sores on my lips.  I believe that there is a definite relationship.
.....Missed your original post , I guess
_________________

I also had shingles just shortly before being diagnosed with CD.
_____________________

I am responding to one of the replies that you received in regard to
Herpes and Dermatitis Herpetiformis ( DH ). From the medical book "Coeliac
Disease" edited by Michael N. Marsh and published by Blackwell Scientific
Publications come the following information. "The American dermatologist
Duhring first used the term dermatitis herpetiformis in 1884. Although
recognized as a  specific entity from that time onwards, DH was included
within a group of conditions known collectively for over 100 years as the
bullous disorders." It was not until 1966 to 1969 that DH was recognized as
an enteropathy and that it was dependent on gluten. I have read some where,
but I can not find it now, that DH was originally believed to be one of the
herpes simplexes, and hence the name; however they are not connected. Once
the medical community has named something they do not change it. It would
be to confusing to follow a string of changing names.