From:
Rhonda Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 2001 11:54:28 -0500

Mt 16 month old daughter's stool tests came back with a low ph reading
of 4, instead of the normal range of 6 or higher.  The pediatric gastro
(I switched after the horrible experience with another) wants to
immediately do a small bowel biopsy to see if it could be a bacterial
infection.  she has been on a gluten free diet since October, so it is
unlikely that celiac damage will be evident, she has gained on the diet,
but not enough to satisfy the doctor.  He does not think she is celiac
because the blood tests did not indicate celiac (but I think it is a
false negative because she had been on the gf diet for 6 weeks already
when these were done).

Has anybody had experience with a low ph value that supposedly indicates
malabsorption?  I am hesitant to put her through the biospy but am at a loss
now because she has not gained as much weight in the last month  and now
has a low ph value, whatever that indicates.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  I, along with her older
sister, age 8, both have what doctors have in the past said to be a
celiac mimicry in which we respond well to a gf diet, but are sick when
we leave it.  Blood tests don't indicate celiac.  And when either of us
try a gluten challenge, we become too sick within a day to continue it.
That's evidence enough for me to stay on a gf diet, but I'm worried that
something else could be wrong with my toddler, since the stool tests
came back with abnormal readings.

Thanks,

Rhonda