From:
"Behling, Erika" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Behling, Erika
Date:
Thu, 3 Sep 2015 16:55:19 +0000

All -

First, a very hearty THANK YOU to each of you who responded to my query. I was honestly moved by the time taken by so many of you to respond so thoughtfully to me!
I did have a few requests to summarize for the list so here were my general responses.

Breakdown of those currently on thyroid medication:

Synthroid (10) - most reported feeling fine or good with only one stating it was not going well on the med
Levothyroxine (4) - no report of any problems
Tirosint (2) - one switched from Synthroid after experiencing CD symptoms (more on that in a minute)
Armour (1) - this person moved from Synthroid to the Armour (another person wants to try Armour but the clinic will not prescribe)
Naturethroid (1) - with two family members on

Overall, people reported feeling good on the medication they are currently taking. Many reported that after figuring out the correct personal dosage (which was noted as being the most difficult part of the process and "taking time"), the regimen is easy, they are feeling good, and routine checks are all that is needed for maintenance (to check levels and tweak dosage as needed). A few also stated they could tell right away if the dosing needed changing - things feel "off," and old symptoms (cold, weight gain, etc.) reappearing.

I also got at least 3 responses warning me NOT to follow home remedies, purchase OTC type things online, etc. There was discussion here that the dosing is SO important and that the individual needs are also SO important that there is no way these types of products are helpful and, in all likelihood, they may be harmful.

Some folks had been on a generic but felt better on a name brand while others are currently on a generic and feel just fine. More than one person stated the debate over synthetic/natural shouldn't be a debate in the medical world - that some feel fine and do well on the synthetic while others really could benefit from the natural due to the addition of T3. One person would like to try the Armour but can't because current clinic practice is to prescribe the synthetic due to the belief it is better assimilated by the body.

Regarding the GF nature of the name brand Synthroid: I got a few notes that AbbVie, makers of Synthroid, cannot guarantee a GF status. One person moved to Tirosint (allergen free per their literature) specifically because of CD type symptoms recurring. Others noted friends or other folks they knew moving to Tirosint (or other generics) because of Synthroid's non-guarantee of GF status. Gluten Free Drugs lists name brand Synthroid as a "2" (2=manufacturer doesn't knowingly add gluten however since they don't do any final testing they won't guarantee it to be GF but it is very unlikely that it is contaminated with gluten) More info here: http://www.glutenfreedrugs.com/newlist.htm (Tirosint listed clearly as a "1").

A few encouraged me to go GF - I've been diagnosed celiac for a while and very strict about the diet - just want you to know :)

Again, I cannot thank you enough - definitely a help and I feel better knowing that many of you are thriving with your dual CD/Hashi status!

Best,
Erika